To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: but can a duck use a keyboard
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > News discussions > General Science News

ARtone
http://www.physorg.com/news3358.html

Here we go again a silly word summary.

This adds absolutly nothing to the current knowledge just a silly word to try to describe thinking. We all know the brain stores billions of items of data. The question is - how do we create original thought - what triggers a laugh or a tear. try programming that into a computer with any language.

AR
JAKJRF
My guess is that the author would claim there are many "confabulations". Given a sufficient number of these we have cognition.
Lose Mind
This seems like unimportant categorization to me. The real trick is to make the machine know that it is confabulating and to make an intelligent reply to coherent confabulation. That is true AI!
Anonymous Howard
Its a good idea - but the problem is its not *his* idea.

Dr. Stephen Thaler of Imagination Engines, Inc. has built a business around doing exactly this sort of work in the neural network field, and has been doing this since 1997. In fact, Hecht-Nielson's research looks to be a direct rip-off of Thaler's work! I knew that plagiarism was bad in the academic world, but this...
Gregg Dippold
It appears to me that he is taking credit for ideas already published by Dr. Stephen Thaler. When I first saw the press release at Science Daily, I was immediately struck by similiarities to a briefing I heard from Dr. Thaler in which he used the psychological term confabulation (that is, filling memory gaps with frabications perceived to be facts) to describe what was occuring inside his neural networks. Compare the Hecht-Nielsen paper with this paper published in 1997. http://www.imagination-engines.com/papers/mindII/mind2.htm and decide for yourself.
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.
© Science X : physics and technology news - Version for PDAs - Medical & Health news articles - mobile