To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: The Wormholes Of "jumper"
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > Relativity, Quantum Mechanics and New Theories > Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, New Theories

Empress Palpatine
I just got back from seeing the movie that just came out, "Jumper." It has a physics based theme. The star (Hayden Christensen) finds that he can make wormholes at will and go anywhere he wants in a flash. The first thing he does is rob a bank and have a wild time. Then he discovers that there are other jumpers, and they are hunted down and killed by some agency goons, one who is played by Samuel Jackson. They try to chase them through the wormholes.

If it was me and I discovered I could do something like that, I'd be wanting to talk to Stephen Hawkings or Brian Greene. I'd want to know the nature of what is happening. Oddly enough, the star of this movie asks no questions as to the nature of what it is that he is doing.

Well, call it a physics fantasy...what did people here think? Who has seen this film or plans to see it?

Don't you wish Brian Greene or some other known physicist had had a cameo role in the film?
AlphaNumeric
QUOTE (Empress Palpatine+Feb 19 2008, 10:27 PM)
If it was me and I discovered I could do something like that, I'd be wanting to talk to Stephen Hawkings or Brian Greene.  I'd want to know the nature of what is happening.

They'd be able to tell you no more than you can read in their work. Simply seeing you 'jump' wouldn't tell them how you bend space-time, if you do that at all. You'd need to do it inside a detector or sensory machine of some kind, so that scientists can measure the particles you give off or absorb, see how you bend electromagnetic fields or if there's an effect on time (ie decay rates etc).

Only then could physicists, perhaps, make a slightly educated guess as to what it is you're doing.
QUOTE (Empress Palpatine+Feb 19 2008, 10:27 PM)
Well, call it a physics fantasy...what did people here think? Who has seen this film or plans to see it?
The idea for the film looks interesting but I saw a magazine comment that it was crap. What did you think of it? Compare it, in terms of how good or bad, to other films if you can.

Thanks smile.gif
Empress Palpatine
Well, if I could do such a thing , I would let the scientists try some tests. biggrin.gif

I enjoyed the movie. It is action adventure. The chase scenes reminded me of the Matrix. They do not discuss scientific theory like Star Trek. They do tend to assume their audience knows what a wormhole is.
Empress Palpatine
This is the trailer for Jumper:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=27842512
Empress Palpatine
This is an article about the science that inspired "Jumper." "Spaghettification"...I like that word.

http://www.livescience.com/technology/0802...mper-movie.html
BigDumbWeirdo
I always imagined that if wormholes were to be used for travel, it would require the expenditure of so much energy that it might prove easier to use an alcubierre metric, which is far more aesthetically pleasing, since it is truly a "warp" drive. smile.gif
It would require much less severe warping of space than a wormhole would, and I still don't know how you'd get the other mouth to your destination.

Alcubierre Metric
Squeeze
QUOTE (Empress Palpatine+Feb 19 2008, 09:40 PM)
Well, if I could do such a thing , I would let the scientists try some tests. biggrin.gif

I enjoyed the movie. It is action adventure. The chase scenes reminded me of the Matrix. They do not discuss scientific theory like Star Trek. They do tend to assume their audience knows what a wormhole is.

I watched the movie with a friend two nights back. We both agreed that the movie was good, but it didn't go into any depth. Bloody great viewing though! And , at the moment it is just a belief, but I believe we can master matter with our spirits, and travel where we want to be instantly. One of the reasons we are not awake in that area is that we do not have maturity of spirit yet, and can't be trusted. We might robs banks and just use the ability to practice the selfish gene side of us. biggrin.gif
Trippy
QUOTE (Squeeze+Feb 22 2008, 10:34 AM)
but it didn't go into any depth.

Well of course not.

1) Most of the audience wouldn't understand the physics.
2) The producers probably didn't understand the physics.
3) The Audience understanding the physics has no bearing on the plot, indeed, in some respects you could argue that it's counter productive.
4) It's a SciFi movie, not a physics documentary, the idea is to entertain, not educate. Thanks to Star Trek, Stargate, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Sliders, and I'm sure others, most people 'know' that "Wormholes are predicted by physics" and "Wormholes can be used to get between here and there quickly".
Gehn
I'm gonna see that movie tomorrow with a friend. It's good that it doesn't go into any detail - when producers try to do that, they just end up spouting complete and utter nonsense.

- Gehn biggrin.gif
Horta
I got to see "Jumper". I liked it alot. My take is that they traveled using the electromagnetic field. My reason is that a wormhole that close to the earth might cause too much trouble on earth. When Hayden Jumped he did not land in other galaxies or at other times or dimensions so I figure he used the safer short distance travel of the electromagnetic fields.

It was only hinted at in the movie, but I think you were supposed to think that Hayden's character was a genius like Einstein that was brought up in the wrong environment so it only showed up in his natural ability to Jump around the world. The film kept panning on the picture of Einstein in Hayden's room. You were supposed to connect the two.
Horta
I am now looking at Quantum Mechanics. This is interesting. Particles enjoy the uncertainty principle. Electrons, Quarks and Strings have the fun of being real life "Jumpers" They even have "Obi-Wans" like Gluon's and Gravitons that try to stop them from "Jumping" So the "Paladins" exist in the world of the very small. biggrin.gif

In the movie Jumper Hayden Christensen gets to live the life of a particle or an electron. Too bad no one can find away to "Jump" larger objects or people like portrayed in this film.

User posted image: User posted image

Here is a picture of Hayden Christensen in mid-jump. Here Hayden gets to enjoy the life of a particle. biggrin.gif

JTsang
They use the dimples on the Time-Space "plane" ....

The Theory, well, from the book of Introduction to Time and Space .. for idiots :
===============

Dimples: the thing called MASS ... A term 21st-century-science using to describe the "rim" of those dimples

When and if they get closer to it, they will find it as a Time-space curving to a "vertical Time-space" ... in fact ... a whole new Dimension(s).... a different but still continuation of their present one, so to speak.

The universe is a big set of dimples ... we are a close pack of dimples.... moving into and out to others.

================

These are words from "A" jumper.
Empress Palpatine
I found this interview with Hayden Christensen and the director of the movie "Jumper." They are explaining the physics theory behind it. I thought people here would find it interesting.

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj95/TV...t=JumperMIT.flv

Horta
Empress
Thank you for putting up that interview. I could not find it. I like that interview. I wish they put it on the extras with the DVD.
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.