To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: Submitting A Theory For Evaluation
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > Physics > Physics General

David J P
Submitting a theory for evaluation and protecting it
if an amateur physicist with no university connections or physics qualifications produces a physics theory who should they submit it to, and is there an easy way to protect the work as your own.
My specific area of interest is particle physics.
also i live in UK.
prometheus
QUOTE (David J P+Jul 16 2008, 04:38 PM)
Submitting a theory for evaluation and protecting it
if an amateur physicist with no university connections or physics qualifications produces a physics theory who should they submit it to, and is there an easy way to protect the work as your own.
My specific area of interest is particle physics.
also i live in UK.

You should throw it in the bin. Then go to a university and get the appropriate knowledge to actually do physics and laugh very hard at your younger self for being such a tool.

Alternatively, to give some proper physicist a bit of a laugh, you could submit your work to a journal. Try the journal of high energy physics or physical review D for particle theory. Upload your preprint to arxiv with your name on it to "protect" it. Realize, however, that most people who read it will probably want to put as much distance between them and it as possible.
DavidD
I was always wondering, how is possible to upload on arxiv.org, but don't found any way how to do it. Is this only for some universiteties or physiciests? I have much staff to upload wink.gif
MjolnirPants
QUOTE (DavidD+Jul 16 2008, 05:24 PM)
I was always wondering, how is possible to upload on arxiv.org, but don't found any way how to do it. Is this only for some universiteties or physiciests?

It's a test.
If yer not smart enough to figure out how to upload to Arxiv, then yer not smart enough to have anythin worth uploadin to it.
Apparently, you've failed. Not that I'm surprised, mind.
excaza
You need to get published in a jorunal before you'll make it to arxiv. Something I highly doubt you'll be able to do given that you don't know any physics.
I hope it doesn't escape anyone, the irony involved with the advice given by PROMETHEUS concerning a supposed discovery in Science coming from a non "official" source.Prometheus became a figure who represented human striving, particularly the quest for scientific knowledge, and the risk of overreaching or unintended consequences. In particular, he was regarded in the Romantic era as embodying the lone genius whose efforts to improve human existence could also result in tragedy. WOW! The mind just reels!
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.