To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: Sound Wave Wall Penetration,neighbours From Hell
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > Technology > Technology

Neon
Here is a short story. I have these nasty neighbours playing loud music almost every night. They are located in an adjacent building, so we are only separated by a thick wall, which carries over all low-pitch vibrations. The vibrating sensations in my head are unbearable and I cannot sleep properly. I have also exhausted all "legal" and "common sense" options in dealing with them, so please do not offer any advice on resolving such a situation. Do not mention ear plugs either, I had ear inflammation because of them. My question here is technical merely. For some time I have been thinking of building/using a sound wave device/speakers that could penetrate the wall and cause those neighbours discomfort. An example here would be a very loud, high frequency "mosquito" sound, say 17000 Hz. However from what I heard, such high frequency sound would not penetrate a thick wall. Basically I am looking for anything that could generate very unpleasant sound able to move through that wall. I would use it when they turn up their volume, so they realise that it is not worth it :-). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I really wanna sleep more than 2 hours a night ! Thank you for help.
Empress Palpatine
I certainly sympathize. What about those devices they use to get rid of bugs and other pests that uses a sound of some kind?
gmilam
Is moving an option?
H2O
The problem there is that if you use a subwoofer to send back at them the low frequency sound they send to you when they are listening to their music then they probably won't even hear it. If it is that loud to you then imagine how loud it must be to them. All you would end up doing is introducing an even louder sound into your side.

From what I know is that the more dense the material the better sound travels through it. Things like Styrofoam make decent insulators against sound while a vacuum would be the best but of course how do you put up a vacuum space between you and your neighbor without spending a fortune? So some sort of foam would be good although it would not work as good as it would if up on their wall. Something is better than nothing right?

I really don't know enough about it but you may want to try looking up acoustics and the physics involved because their may be a way that with the right material, shaped the right way, to create a wall cover that could bounce the sound back to them.

Just some things to think about...
uaafanblog
You said, "cause those neighbors discomfort" ...

That's perhaps borderline assault. I sympathize with your plight but come on ... moving is your best option. Carefully choose your next domicile with protection for your sensitive hearing in mind.

There are more than a few people studying the use of sound as a non-lethal weapon (crowd/insurgent control applications). Since any and all of their techniques are quite likely well beyond your reach I don't feel guilty recommending a google search. You might also take a look at the Mythbusters website as they had at least one segment dealing with such topics.
Michael J
I would use it when they turn up their volume, so they realise that it is not worth it

Could you argue that it is in some way self defense, rather than assault, as the noise is causing bodily harm of some sort?

Anyways, unless you can implant the device into their building, i don't think low frequencies sound waves would do much but irritate you along with them (but less to them). Now if your willing to bring yourself to a greater discomfort to give them a minor discomfort, you need more help than just finding a way to retaliate laugh.gif.

Now if you could find a way to introduce a frequency of 95GHz to them, that would shut them up real quick, but probably land you into some sort of hole never to see daylight again in some government facility rolleyes.gif , well or a military contract depending on how good your device is!

Best bet, set up some sound proofing in your house unfortunately. If they aren't breaking any sound bylaws, what can you do... Bake them a pie, buy them a six pack, i don't know.
Empress Palpatine
Perhaps you should look up the inventions of Nikola Tesla. He used a mechanical oscillator that shook a whole building and part of the neighborhood. Perhaps you should look up people who are big fans of this inventor and like to tinker.

But beware...some stuff could be more lethal than you would really want.

Of course, you cold try this: No doubt these people stay up half the night. Why not wake them up early with your tunes or perhaps talk radio.

...or...get an authentic Indian drum and do drumming. I have a friend who has a drum of this sort. It is louder than any regular music and penetrates walls easily. (I am assuming that if your neighbors are allowed to keep everyone awake with noise that no one can come after you for doing it.)

I know you are thinking of a technological noise maker, but a primitive one may do just as well...like a high pitched whistle for example....
Neon
Thank you guys for your input. I am researching my options, also the ones you presented. Moving out is not an option, if I played them drums, I am sure that would make them even happier. Spending a fortune on isulation is not viable. They are the cause of the problem and they should pay, hehe. So, as funny as it sounds I would be happy to spend some cash in order to punish them, rather than a new home. Bullies all over the world should be made aware that there is a price to pay for their wrong doing. What do you think of the mentioned mosquito 17khz loud buzz ? I could simply buy an amplifier and play it from my PC, but before I do it, I need to know if the sound will travel through the wall.
MjolnirPants
High frequency sounds will not penetrate a concrete block or brick wall. The anti-mosquito thing wouldn't work even if they could, because it's outside of the normal range of human hearing (17kHz wouldn't do much to dissuade mosquitoes, from what I understand these systems operate more in the 30-40kHz range).
If you want to get back at them, I would suggest some other method, rather than simply competing with their stereo system (it would cost a bit of money to do so, if their music is loud enough for you to hear and be disturbed by). Try ordering several pizzas to their house from different restaurants every time they turn up the music. At first, they might think it's cool, but after the 200th or so anchovy pizza they're being expected to pay for, it'll get old. Make sure not to admit to anything, and make sure to block your phone number before placing the order, so as not to be traced.
If you insist on competing with them, I would recommend a very bassy album in a genre that's a polar opposite of what they play (for instance, if they play hip hop or rap, play death metal, if they play country music, play jazz) and putting it on whenever they put their own music on. You will end up suffering more because of it, but you will get your revenge. (I live in a predominantly mexican neighborhood, and since the neighbors like to hang around outside listening to loud mexican music and are good at turning it down before the cops arrive, I tend to play death metal on my car stereo until they get the hint. However, I don't mind extremely loud music, as long as it's music I like.)
Your best and most reasonable option is to approach them and explain your situation politely. If they don't care, you can invest in cheap soundproofing. The internet abounds with reasonable and expert advice on how to soundproof a wall on a budget, and if you're determined, you can achieve expert results for less than a hundred dollars, assuming the wall is about 8X16 or smaller.
If that's still not an option, purchase a pair of noise canceling headphones, and either wire the speaker wires through an amplifier or wear the headphones yourself. The former option might be more appealing, as you might be able to get enough volume to effect them, as well.
Confused2
Expensive but .. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control.

A fun alternative might be to hire the loudest mobile PA within a hundred miles .. park up where you can't be seen .. announce (need the right voice for this) "This is God - turn the f******g volume down" and drive away rather smartly. Naturally they're going to rush out with all their knives and guns and stuff .. the good bit is that they're going to spend the next six months waiting for it to happen again. Maybe you like it .. maybe you don't.

-C2.

H2O
Make sure not to admit to anything, and make sure to block your phone number before placing the order, so as not to be traced.

Perhaps use multiple nearby pay phones.

Take up learning to play the drums and buy a set.
Confused2
QUOTE (Mollypants+)
Make sure not to admit to anything, and make sure to block your phone number before placing the order, so as not to be traced.

In the UK only people like (apparently) Mollypants would consider this to be an option.

-C2
occidental
If only we knew someone who was familiar with mirroring concepts and music...

You could get a couple of car speakers and screw them right into the wall facing your neighbors. You could even make a soundproof box and put it over the speakers to tone them down on your side. Turn the bass all the way up and the treble all the way down.

But I wouldnt try and compete with their music. My thought would be to wait until you think theyre sleeping, ideally in the morning when you leave for the day. You could even hook your stereo up to a timer and have it start when you arent there. That way you dont have to listen to it, and if its during the day you probably wouldnt be breaking any laws. And you wouldnt have to just play music. Car alarm sounds could be fun, or maybe a soundtrack of wild animals.
MjolnirPants
QUOTE (Confused2+May 6 2009, 11:27 PM)
QUOTE (Mollypants+)

In the UK only people like (apparently) Mollypants would consider this to be an option.

-C2

Umm... You do realize that's a classic prank? People have been doing that for as long as there have been telephones and pizza delivery...
Plus it's quite a bit cheaper and more realistic than your inane suggestion...

So how's your foot taste? You managed to wedge it pretty far back in there.

P.S. It's nice to see that all of my old stalkers are back (except Liu, of course). It makes me feel special. wink.gif

QUOTE (Occidental+)

But I wouldnt try and compete with their music. My thought would be to wait until you think theyre sleeping, ideally in the morning when you leave for the day. You could even hook your stereo up to a timer and have it start when you arent there. That way you dont have to listen to it, and if its during the day you probably wouldnt be breaking any laws. And you wouldnt have to just play music. Car alarm sounds could be fun, or maybe a soundtrack of wild animals.

Or better yet, a horror movie audio track, complete with a few extra screams and chainsaw revvings thrown in.
Empress Palpatine
If you really want to horrify them, turn on Rush Limbaugh. tongue.gif
BlueMountainTracker
You have brick between you? Try this. Get two lenths of chain about 3 and a half feet long. Now exercise and strike the wall when they are asleep. Like nun chuka practice...lol.
Do this every 20 minutes for 3 or 4 hrs when they sleep.
smile.gif
Empress Palpatine
...or you could take up learning to play the trumpet.
MjolnirPants
QUOTE (Empress Palpatine+May 8 2009, 03:12 AM)
...or you could take up learning to play the trumpet.

Or take up playing (but not learning to play) the violin...
Neon
HAhaha, you guys here are quite inventive, I would not wanna be the one to cross you ;-). Actually I played them once an old Testament album, it was so loud that I had to leave a room. Still looking for some hi tech ;-), not easily traceable solutions though.
Confused2
For comparison with your American classic prank .. a British classic:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7398211.stm
Empress Palpatine
This thread is definitly bringing out my dark side aspect (Dark Side of the Force) laugh.gif
Just Wonderful
QUOTE (Neon+May 5 2009, 10:55 PM)
Here is a short story. I have these nasty neighbours playing loud music almost every night. They are located in an adjacent building, so we are only separated by a thick wall, which carries over all low-pitch vibrations. The vibrating sensations in my head are unbearable and I cannot sleep properly. I have also exhausted all "legal" and "common sense" options in dealing with them, so please do not offer any advice on resolving such a situation.

I really empathize with your situation, Neon, and I really hate inconsiderate morons that disturb the peace of others, but I really suspect you have not exhausted all your police / legal options.

These type of inconsiderate self satisfying neighborhood aggravating deviants usually won't stop until you take legal / police action....
(Bet you can tell I've had experience with it.)

If you are in an apartment, the best thing is to complain to the manager....but when you each own your own adjacent unit (which it appears is your case) then you must appeal to the local ordinances and or police. It is possible that the neighbors are renting and you can deal with their owner.

Here in our community (as in most in America) there are county ordinances which forbid disturbing the peace after certain hours (after 10:30 p.m.) ....THESE 'NUISANCE' LAWS ARE DESIGNED FOR THIS EXACT TYPE OF THING AND USUALLY THE POLICE ARE FAMILIAR WITH THEM.

A FEW CALLS TO THE POLICE AFTER 10:30, giving them the address where the disturbance is coming from, usually gets them over there knocking on their door...

In my community...if you have called police once or twice (say two nights in a row), you can ask the police to "file charges". They will....and that is usually enough to stop any further noise.......however, if it doesn't , you continue....and the charges pile up and a court date is set when they must appear before a judge and answer the charges....and that is where you state your case. (bring your evidence, a recording of the loud music etc.) Usually the judge always sides with the one being disturbed. It becomes a 'criminal" offense.

You may think its a lot of effort but IT WORKS!
There is ALSO the right to file charges in a small claims (Civil) court ..and sue for damages...Once you have a ticket showing the police report, it is usually sufficient to persuade the judge.

Everyone has a right to peace and quiet (unless you live in Iraq, of course wink.gif))

I have done the above and it is worth the effort and it works..yes, and it helps to say your prayers.

P.S. Have a good night's sleep.
Enthalpy
Again a poor guy who doesn't play bagpipe and has to revert to technical means...

To create loud low frequencies in a wall, the most efficient method is an electric motor (3000 or 3600/min) that rotates an eccentric which is hold by sturdy bearings hold at (against) the wall.

Put something to catch possible flying parts and don't stay in the way. Don't exaggerate the eccentric load at such speeds.

I doubt, though, that a wall creates a loud sound in air, especially at low frequencies.

And what about a percussion drilling machine, especially if you replace the drill bit with a metal rod and push against a steel beam at the wall?
Gnildir
Why not just buy an old tube type ham radio and make sure that you have a antenna that is matched well to the antenna, but make sure that the coax is cheap and the radio is slightly off tune so you can create some TVI, or television interference. Well, you would get slapped with a fine doing that with ham frequencies. However, just buy yourself a cheap mini-Tesla coil that you can modify the frequency of. When they start playing their music, have the coil near the wall and listen carefully (despite of the arcing noises) and listen for interference coming from their stereo. Once you hear it, just leave it there until the music stops. Then when they turn their music back on, turn on the Tesla coil again and they will shut down their equipment thinking something is wrong. Do this over a period of time and they will end up buying new equipment and such.. You can do this with neighbors in your apartment that likes to play games at full blast. If your wall happens to be on the other side of the wall to where their computer is, the Tesla coil will literally freeze up the computer.

Another option for a RF noise generator.. If you dare... get a cheap microwave, put a cup of water in it, jam the door open and aim it at the wall and turn on for a few minutes at a time. If you're lucky, you may have a stray microwave energy that will blow out the processor in their electronic equipments.

Good luck..
gnildir@gmail.com
light in the tunnel
QUOTE (BlueMountainTracker+May 8 2009, 12:46 AM)
You have brick between you? Try this. Get two lenths of chain about 3 and a half feet long. Now exercise and strike the wall when they are asleep. Like nun chuka practice...lol.
Do this every 20 minutes for 3 or 4 hrs when they sleep.
smile.gif

This one is my favorite suggestion, if only because it made me lol.

Before beginning counterterrorism maneuvres, however, it might be worth at least attempting some diplomatic negotiations. Have you tried talking with them and explaining that it is very loud inside your house. If you want to be polite you could say something about wanting to respect their right to enjoy themselves and the oppressive cramping of shared-wall housing. You could try negotiating certain times when they promise to have the music off, such as after 7pm on weekdays and not more than one night per weekend. Ask if there's anything you can do to make their living situation more pleasant. If you have outside decorations or something, ask if they are a nuisance for any reason.

If your neighbors feel that you are being genuinely neighborly and not just passively aggressively trying to attack them for their music, and they still don't try to cooperate in any way, you might just have truly evil enemies. In that case, I like the chains idea. I would go with a heavy gage and get a long enough length that it can drag for a while as you let it fall off a shelf onto the floor. Try to identify where their bed would be so that the falling chain noise will happen as close to their headboard as possible. Just be careful, because unless they're complete idiots they will recognize this as a declaration of war and relations will become further strained and they may themselves retaliate with more than just the music. Diplomacy would be the most constructive route if possible.
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.