To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: New Inventions
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > General Sci-Tech Discussions > Puzzling questions

xtrmn8r
I read an article awhile back, I don"t remember where, that posited that enhancements are all that's left.

Except for reinventions or improvements on existing products, is there anything new waiting to be invented?

CKS
If you knew wouldn't you have invented it already? There is always new things, just need to think a little more now and again.

gmilam
"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

--Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

OK - so further research indicates that this quote is probably apocryphal. But it does show that you're not the first to ask that question.
El_Machinae
To invent, in any field, it's best to have detailed knowledge coupled with general curiosity.

The more you know about a specific topic, the more likely you'll be able to invent something in that field. If you want to help cause more inventions, boost your general knowledge
ResidentGeek
No offense, but I can't believe that you are asking this. As long as there is Science Fiction, we have yet in invent everything.

As an aspiring inventor, I can firmly tell you NO! Everything is not even close to being invented yet. It never will be. You can always find something new.

I will quote my hero for you.

~Dean Kamen~
A patent, or invention, is any assemblage of technologies or ideas that you can put together that nobody put together that way before. That's how the patent office defines it. That's an invention.

Needless to say, we will never reach a point at which all possibilities are exhausted.
Sapo
QUOTE (ResidentGeek+Oct 10 2007, 03:27 PM)
Needless to say, we will never reach a point at which all possibilities are exhausted.

Certainly not on this board. biggrin.gif
N O M
QUOTE (xtrmn8r+Oct 8 2007, 08:45 AM)
I read an article awhile back, I don"t remember where, that posited that enhancements are all that's left.

Except for reinventions or improvements on existing products, is there anything new waiting to be invented?

Yeah, they thought exactly that 150 years ago. Boy were they wrong.
ResidentGeek
*Looks at all his cool toys*
*sighs with relief*
Boy am I GLAD they were wrong!
LeTUOtter
*hugs his iPod*

AAAAAAMEN! biggrin.gif
ResidentGeek
LOL laugh.gif
*Caresses his computer* wub.gif
xtrmn8r
ResidentGeek Posted on 10/10/07 at 1:27 PM

No offense, but I can't believe that you are asking this. As long as there is Science Fiction, we have yet in invent everything

QUOTE (->
No offense, but I can't believe that you are asking this. As long as there is Science Fiction, we have yet in invent everything

As an aspiring inventor, I can firmly tell you NO! Everything is not even close to being invented yet. It never will be. You can always find something new.

No offense taken, but you did not answer my question.

I agree that something will be discovered that will necessitate a new invention, but as an aspiring inventor, do you have any ideas what that may be?
Sapo
ph34r.gif Yes, but I can't tell you. You'll take my ideas.... laugh.gif
N O M
I'm keenly awaiting 3D printers becoming more common place and affordable. When this happens, there will be a huge surge in home-invented gadgets. People could post the spec files online, maybe for a small fee per download.
meBigGuy
There are HUGE new areas for new inventions. Especially in the areas of nano-technology, micro-biology, pharmecology, robotics, quantum computing, and penile enhancements. Even new toys utilizing totally novel applications of existing technology. With current scanning technology, cognitive neuro-science is bound to result in novel new application areas. Never underestimate the combination of ingenuity and monetary motivation.

Not to mention energy and weaponry.
ResidentGeek
I agree. There is so much that has never even been thought of yet. Stuff you won't even find in Sci-fi.

Yes I do have many ideas for inventions and no, I can't tell you because of something called "Invention Disclosure"

Means that if I tell you about it, I only have one year to build it before I lose the right for a patent. Not fun. wink.gif
3Uo
That is what basic research is for. It leads to ideas that we never imagined, that then lead to inventions.

For example, it seems like a stupid waste of money to study the behavior of ants, until they discovered that complex behavior emerged because many individuals applied a few simple rules. Dropping chemical markers along the trail that a worker ant just traveled turns out to be a very advanced scheduling algorthm in logistics.

Do what the guy next to you does, and do it immediately, is a very advance communication and survival technique driven by millions of year of predation by preditors.

And, those example are just things discovered, and inventions applied to human endeavors, that occurred right under our noses. Next, consider what is left to be discovered in the Cosmos, and what inventions will evolve from that.

yor_on
Will all inventions just be mimicking nature?
Or are there inventions that nature didn't have first??
Sapo
QUOTE (yor_on+Oct 14 2007, 03:21 PM)

We've invented natures that nature hasn't first. There are examples like Dole's Habitable Planets, and then there are examples like Pincho...

In all seriousness, remember reading about the nuclear reactor that occurred in Africa? Seems that at the time (I don't remember the details, or I'd do better here) there were just enough of the fiercer fissionables left in concentration, plus moderator... Oh, fie. I need to look that up again.

Anyway, yes. Antigravity. But try to get in on the ground floor. laugh.gif
yor_on
Now what the heck is a Pincho?
The only one i can think of there would be Pinoccicho
That wouldn't be it? would it??
If so , yeah we'll never find that in nature..
I hope ::))
ResidentGeek

*Thinks for a moment...*
Pretty sure I've never seen Televisions grow on trees...
Or an economic system...
*Thinks back on his mother*
"Money don't grow on trees you know!"
wink.gif
buttershug
QUOTE (ResidentGeek+Oct 14 2007, 11:17 PM)
*Thinks for a moment...*
Pretty sure I've never seen Televisions grow on trees...
Or an economic system...
*Thinks back on his mother*
"Money don't grow on trees you know!"
wink.gif

I think it can be argued that certain insect colonies have an economic system.
Maybe also some symbiotic relationships.

hmm what about mitochondria? They are separate organisms with their own DNA. We can't survive without them and they can't survive without us. I'm sure there is someone somewhere that would argue it could be called an economic system. I'm not sure if I would but I think someone might.

And if you really really really really stretch, maybe someone might argue the honeybees dance is their version of television. Well a big difference is theirs is usefull.
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.