To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: Nasty Welding Burns
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > Biology, Chemistry, Medicine, Other Sciences > Medicine / Health

dhcracker
Anyone have any good method for getting rid of really bad welding burns? I did a no-no and I welded for like 3 hours with a wife beater t-shirt on now I look like a red man wearing a pale wife beater even with my shirt off! lol OUCH it BURNS..

I figured since my face stopped burning my skin was tough enough but I didn't think about my chest being exposed when normally it isn't. live and learn I guess...

is there a doctor in the house?
NymphaeaAlba
My oldest is a welder. His work clothes are always covered with burn holes. If it is minor all you can do is cool the area with cold water and cover it to avoid infection, donít apply any antibiotic ointment unless the blister is opened. If there is any dirt in it, clean it and apply antibiotic ointment. Ouch!

P.S. I'm not a big fan of taking medical advice over the internet, so don't take my word for it. Look it up or ask a physician.
Next timeÖdonít forget to apply sunscreen.sad.gif
Capracus
I assume you were arc welding and thus received ultraviolet radiation burns.

I figured since my face stopped burning my skin was tough enough but I didn't think about my chest being exposed when normally it isn't.  live and learn I guess...
Please tell me you were wearing a helmet.

QUOTE (->
I figured since my face stopped burning my skin was tough enough but I didn't think about my chest being exposed when normally it isn't.  live and learn I guess...
Please tell me you were wearing a helmet.

is there a doctor in the house?
I don't think its your skin that needs to be examined.
adoucette
QUOTE (Capracus+Sep 12 2010, 08:26 AM)
I don't think its your skin that needs to be examined.

OUCH!

(on several levels)

dh,
Assuming you aren't blistering and need to see a doctor, then use the same stuff they sell at the drugstore for sunburn relief.
Most contain Aloe and Vitamin E and various moisterizers and some may include a mild topical anesthetic.

Arthur
dhcracker
QUOTE (adoucette+Sep 12 2010, 02:21 PM)
OUCH!

(on several levels)

dh,
Assuming you aren't blistering and need to see a doctor, then use the same stuff they sell at the drugstore for sunburn relief.
Most contain Aloe and Vitamin E and various moisterizers and some may include a mild topical anesthetic.

Arthur

LOL I deserved that actually.

I sometimes start what should be a 5 minute job wearing just goggles and a t shirt, however this time I got carried away and decided to reinforce all the welds which was enough to put a nasty burn on my chest. My face and arms are immune to burns like that, however wearing an A shirt I exposed skin that isn't so tough. Hasty move on my part, I normally always wear full protection whenever I'm going to be welding more than a few minutes.

Thanks I've been raiding our aloe plants and that seems to work really well with just some lotion.

Actually last month I did something far worse, after cracking my face shield I use for grinding I went at it with just safety glasses on. A piece of metal got in around the glasses and somehow ended up stuck right in the dead center of my pupil. I'm really lucky it didn't scar over and blind me.

I'm dangerous to myself when I'm in a hurry, I have to learn to stop rushing like that on these jobs no deadline is worth injury.

Thanks all I'm healing nicely and back to work (with full protection)
bukh
Forget all about aloe Vera, topical anesthetics , Vitamin E - moisturizers and that kind of stuff - IMO a topical steroid and cooling is by far the most efficient remedies in ameliorating light induced irritation of the skin - AND in protecting the skin from developing into burns. (I work professionally with lasers and IPL onto the skin)

Applying a sunscreen is probably a far less good protection as compared to wearing a light and comfortable and dense fabric of cloth. (the mere use - the cost-benefit - of a sun-protection product is controversial - but this is not an issue in this narrow context).

When the damage/irritation has occurred - then steroid, and cool (cold water - cooling pads the colder the better) - the more intense and the faster the better. I advocate a group 3 steroid (applied only once topically, steroids irrespective of their potency never gives rise to the well known side-effects frequently observed by using steroids carelessly and wrongly onto skin - actually the side-effect of atrophic skin is one of the more/most commonly observed iatrogenic side effects and seen when topical steroids are being recommended over longer periods in the treatment of chronic skin diseases). If a potent steroid creme cannot be made available - even a mild low percentage hydro cortisone skin-cream - which in most areas of the world is available as an over the counter product, will do - and can be reapplied with frequent intervals in order to increase the effect. I normally recommend not to use combinations of steroid plus anesthetics - antibiotics and the like - use steroid in the pure form.

The above is my personnel experience and shall not be seen as a medical advice. This section and the Forum generally is not a medical advice place. The entire area of so-called medical advises is so controversial that this Forum IMO would be better without.
When Dr. Bukh speaks, it isn't as if he's trying to discuss physics.

Despite the disclaimer, he is correct in his assessment in this case. Please listen.
dhcracker
QUOTE (bukh+Sep 12 2010, 09:35 PM)
Forget all about aloe Vera, topical anesthetics , Vitamin E - moisturizers and that kind of stuff - IMO a topical steroid and cooling is by far the most efficient remedies in ameliorating light induced irritation of the skin - AND in protecting the skin from developing into burns. (I work professionally with lasers and IPL onto the skin)

Applying a sunscreen is probably a far less good protection as compared to wearing a light and comfortable and dense fabric of cloth. (the mere use - the cost-benefit - of a sun-protection product is controversial - but this is not an issue in this narrow context).

When the damage/irritation has occurred - then steroid, and cool (cold water - cooling pads the colder the better) - the more intense and the faster the better. I advocate a group 3 steroid (applied only once topically, steroids irrespective of their potency never gives rise to the well known side-effects frequently observed by using steroids carelessly and wrongly onto skin - actually the side-effect of atrophic skin is one of the more/most commonly observed iatrogenic side effects and seen when topical steroids are being recommended over longer periods in the treatment of chronic skin diseases). If a potent steroid creme cannot be made available - even a mild low percentage hydro cortisone skin-cream - which in most areas of the world is available as an over the counter product, will do - and can be reapplied with frequent intervals in order to increase the effect. I normally recommend not to use combinations of steroid plus anesthetics - antibiotics and the like - use steroid in the pure form.

The above is my personnel experience and shall not be seen as a medical advice. This section and the Forum generally is not a medical advice place. The entire area of so-called medical advises is so controversial that this Forum IMO would be better without.

Now that is very useful.

Should I just go to Rite Aide and ask for the best topical steroid? Or do you have an over the counter recommendation?

Its still pretty irritated, I'm 3 or 4 days out from the day of the burn. I would have rather had hot slag in my boot than have my chest burned lol.
bukh
QUOTE (Guest+Sep 12 2010, 11:31 PM)
When Dr. Bukh speaks, it isn't as if he's trying to discuss physics.

Despite the disclaimer, he is correct in his assessment in this case. Please listen.

I like to phrase it a bit differently

Correct or incorrect is always into a context and according to the eyes of the beholder.

Giving a personal advise - is no more than an experience - and if it works it is good and vice verse - and the more general the advice - the more often it works the better - an advice can be good or bad but never correct or incorrect.

Now - when it comes to physics or physical - there is fundamentally no such thing as right or wrong - good or bad - it is fundamentally a question about the eyes of the beholder - the truth is between the ears, the truth is what one believe, and then there is a lot of conformity saying that the more people believing the same the more true it becomes - so when the majority some hundred years ago - for many good reasons believed the earth to be flat - this was the truth, and right now most people believe it is round - so this is the truth. The best definition on something being true is that it is a majority belief - except of course when we are dealing with axiomatic science - then objective statements can be made - then it is a simple question about whether the playing rules have been followed or not.

When discussing physics - we are fundamentally discussing what we perceive and how our perceiving can be explained. All over history human race have been presenting ever varying metaphors for our perceiving, and the better metaphors are those that can be fairly easily understood by a majority, and then such metaphors are raised to become the truth. Right now we are still in a period where for instance the concept of "particle" is well established - but I am sure that this concept will fade out in some not too distant future.

And still some people in this Forum come up with cute but stupid sayings such like someone is lying - if he/she says something that the person in question cannot understand - ! - and I am not giving names just an example.

I would like to see a bit more tolerance and patience in this Forum. Stupidity is not an objective measure - it is no more than a majority concept. To establish a group is no more than seeking security -
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here youíll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.