To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: Mysterious disappearance of US bees
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > News discussions > General Science News

vlam67
http://www.physorg.com/news95135881.html

Those bees found in such devastated colonies also all seem to be infected with multiple micro-organisms, many of which are known to be behind stress-related illness in bees.

The bees are just more environmental sensitive than most Americans, and feeling depressed at the doomsday ahead due to inaction, committing suicide in droves.
photojack
vlam67, Maybe they could rally the killer bees to attack Bush and his cronies for inaction on global warming and an appalling environmental record! ohmy.gif That might be more fun than impeachment. biggrin.gif
philip347
History note:This action has it seems been noted, in eastcoast colonies, only?

*If you have other information, anybody here, then please bring this forward?/

> People on this planet, it seems by and large are doggerel in their pursuits.

The condition of artificial hives, toted on trucks, are subpar in cleanliness.

They are old wooden hives, that are not serviced nor painted and or cleaned.

There could be an envisioning, of octagonal configured hives, which clean easier, but also have clean wood inserts in them, for honey hive comb construction.

These hives, would have micro-electronic music, powered by hive atop solar cells, which would play through the daytime hive constantly.

Bees are a very studious gentle animal, that at heart, are kind and good workers.

The state of affairs seems, that we care way less about them, than we should as brothers to this planet.

I feel that there should be a two year course, on being a bee keeper, with a state supplied department of agriculture, awarded at the end of that period.CEUs for that learning expierence?

There should also be two times or more a year, meetings, of people who keep bees, to determine what the hive health is, at that particular time period.

Get this through your heads, bees are vitally important and should not be disregarded, as a minor social insect?!
El_Machinae
This trend has somewhat concerned me; I can't think of anything to do at a private level, except to allow native wildflowers on my property this year.
Mantech1
This articles a bit sparse.

For instance I see no mention of them even studying wild bee colonies to find out if CCD (is that acronym really needed? When I see it I keep thinking "Charge Couple Device") effects bees outside of Beekeeper hives.

Though I do have to wonder how a scientist or Beekeeper can tell if a bee is stressed out, or rather how those micro-organisms found in those sparsely populated hives relate to "stress related(?) illness. I mean do they know this for sure or are they guessing or incorrectly identifying similiar and benign micro-organisms.

The article mentions no dead bees found inside or outside of those effected colonies. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it normal behaviour for bees to push their dead out of the colony? If I'm remembering this correctly then shouldn't the beekeepers have noticed the extra dead bees lying around the hive?

Could this instead just be some new behaviour pattern? What if these missing bee's are...migrating (perhaps not the right word but its the only one that comes to mind now), perhaps forming multiple swarms to establish new hives in areas with fewer bee colonies.

Granted I don't know that much about bee's but shouldn't more research be done before just pointing the finger at insecticides as the cause?

teposs
Even an idiot knows the answer: chemical polluition and genetically modified crops. good luck from Europe!
avec
Yes, Genetically modified crops (GMOs). Genetic engineering is horribly sloppy with unpredictably toxic results... results that may go undetected well after it's already been approved. And here I mean laboratory style genetic engineering, not the usual cross breeding done for centuries. Great article on this:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/...,473166,00.html

If the problem persists, there will be widespread food shortages within five years. Add that to mad cow in bovines, CJD in deer, avian flu in poultry... Enjoy food now while it's available! Now where's my Soylent Green DVD...
gopher65
The queen is the only one that can breed. If they were establishing a new hive, they'd need to either take the queen, or take a newly born queen. It seems unlikely that mass numbers of bees would randomly decide to do this.

To me, given the fact that their aren't bodies strewn all over the place around hives (or in them if it happens fast enough), it seems likely that the bees are being killed while away from the hive. A fast acting pesticide seems most likely ph34r.gif . In the end, the only bees that are left are the ones that are too sick and weak to look for food. Hence the (paraphrased) "only bees left were the queen, with a small amount of reserve food, and a few stressed and sick workers that were infected with nasty diseases".
soundhertz
It's not a mystery. Please check out my posts on this thread - http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?showtopic=13797&hl.

This trend has somewhat concerned me; I can't think of anything to do at a private level, except to allow native wildflowers on my property this year. 

Very good question. I would start by calling your regional agricultural office (are you in America?).

Been wondering what to do also. I was thinking of erecting my own beehive not to utilize, but for them. We should all do some research and post results; this is not a topic like global warming. There is no controversy. It will have real effects, and real soon.
Connie
There is something we can all do- NOT use chemical pesticides outdoors. And research all the ones we do use to make sure that nothing escapes the manufacturing plants, contaminating the environment. Sevin ® kills bees, malathion kills bees, Gaucho ® kills bees, Merrit ® kills bees. One of the earlier commenters asked "How do we know?" The USDA and beekeeping organizations have intensively studied Apis melifera (honeybees) for over 100 years. 1/3 of our food supply in the USA is co-dependent with them. I used to keep a few colonies myself, sort of as "pets" or a hobby, but it is too expensive now, and too disheartening. The migratory beekeepers referred to earlier are actually good beekeepers, old wood doesn't hurt bees, as long as they are kept healthy, they will actually keep it clean themselves. And migratory beekeepers can't afford to let their bees get "sick". They are inspected, anyway, and they don't get paid for weak colonies that can't do the job (pollination). The price of food has already been going up, just wait until the scarcity happens from not having honeybees!
Suling
Let's see:
Could the current demise of Bees be caused by one of the fine products brought to us by Monsanto?(partial list below:)

Or maybe one they sell that hasn't been discovered to kill you or the bees, yet.?

Pesticides
Herbicides
saccharin
PCBs
Aspartame
Bovine Growth Hormone Posilac, a synthetic drug used to increase milk production in cows, is banned in most first-world countries, with the exception of the United States, where it can be found in much of the milk supply
Agent Orange
Frankenfood
Terminator genes (attempted)
introduced caffeine and vanillin to Coca-Cola
polyurethanes
first to genetically modify a plant cell in 1982.
phenylalanine
Celebrex.

soundhertz
And how many more "Monsantos" are out there. Some of the products mentioned are benign enough; remember we can die easily enough from water, sodium chloride - you get my drift. But we truly need to realize that our species is not one of the more fragile ones due in part to our ingenuity. Cockroaches are also not fragile due to theirs. The ingenuities just work differently. But creatures like frogs and honeybees are fragile when it comes to pesticides/herbicides, etc.

Merit (imidocloprid) is the one making bees disoriented and unable to find their homes. It doesn't kill them, they die because they have no instinct for surviving on their own. Their entire mode of survival collapses. If they find the wrong hive they are immediately killed. Adult honeybees only live for about 1 - 2 months. There is a great turnover in the hive, and each generation must provide the support for the next. You can see how quickly a catastrophy can happen then. In Pa. where I live, we've been warned that our honeybee population is expected to be at less than 50% of last year's pop. If this is accurate info...

There is hope: people find solutions when they are inspired enough to.
kungfublood
Why is there no mention of the fact that kept bees are often given concentrated corn syrup to help them over-winter? I would hope that I would not have to mention that ALL corn in the world has already been tainted with G.M.O pesticide courtesy of Monsanto .
Rice wheat and soy are all scheduled for contamination with human DNA by the F.D.A soon. Eat up fellow cannibals.
If the pharmas want to make drugs from plants they should, by law (yet to be written) keep them isolated from animals insects and people not grow them out in the field. Also they be made to look like complete freaks so that human beings at least, can avoid consuming it when it is accidentally served up in an elementary school! As you well know the Constitution states I have the right to practice my religion and people have a right to pursue happiness but I do not see that the right to deliberately deceive one another in that pursuit is spelled out . All people must have the absolute right to see a food item and know exactly what it is. If it looks like a tomato and tastes like a tomato it should NOT be allowed under any circumstances have altered or foreign DNA placed in it.Who knows what devastating and probably irreversible effects this stupid action will have on the animal and insect life on our fragile planet!
Let the drug and GMO companies practice their right to make money with traditionally inedible ornamental plants that are far enough removed from food plants that the possibility of contamination and exposure to potentially mind altering or deadly effects will be Nil. I would think that we all want to be protected from potentiality mind altering or deadly effects of accidentally consuming this vile class of panted medicine hidden within the food that we eat every day. Is that Kosher?
mad.gif
truthman
Google "chemtrails" and you will see what is killing the bee population. It could certainly be qualified as chemical pollution. Jet pollution. Except for, the NWO is doing to humanity on purpose. Haven't any of you noticed the fine filaments resembling spider webs (only it's single stranded) on your decks and patios our out in your yards or on the golf course when the sun hits it just right? Tell me what breed of spider spins a single threaded web twenty-five feet from the corner of my house to the middle of my back yard?

Peace.

Truthman
Eric the Healer
I heard from a reliable source that they are blind from the ultra violet radiation (from depleted uranium bombing and chem-trail sparaying www.carnicom.com) and can't see the flower/pollen and die of starvation. Also, genetically modified crops are killing them off also (when they can get to something). Wake up and learn, then tell two friends!
Sam A. Lander
Today it is the bees that are missing. This is not just in the US, but reports are emerging from Europe of the same things. They have no clue what is causing this, or so they claim.

But, just as, if not more importantly, so too are the amphibians dying on this planet. The bees should not be a surprise because when it was discovered that the amphibians were disappearing, scientists were very clear that amphibians are the pulse of the Earth and once they were gone, other species would follow.

The Earth is preparing to cleanse itself of the parasite that has consumed its host - US!

Over the next few years we will be dealt with very miserably by the planet and once our numbers are reduced sufficiently to return the natural balance, the species that are dying now will be able to return. In the earth's terms of time, it won't be long.

Sam A. Lander - RIP

"THEY"
QUOTE (soundhertz+Apr 8 2007, 09:36 AM)
Been wondering what to do also. I was thinking of erecting my own beehive not to utilize, but for them.

I had planned on getting a hive once I moved (for honey and for the bees), but now I wonder if I will even be able to find any bees to buy? My fruit trees bloomed last week and I didn't see a darned bee in sight.

Are the queen bees dying too? Or just workers?
soundhertz
I had planned on getting a hive once I moved (for honey and for the bees), but now I wonder if I will even be able to find any bees to buy?  My fruit trees bloomed last week and I didn't see a darned bee in sight.

Are the queen bees dying too?  Or just workers?

The entire colony will die, queen and all, if enough workers are gone. Bees are easy enough to buy - look at the links I posted on the other bee thread. That's not the problem, keeping the hive healthy is. We need to educate ourselves though lest our laudable actions make it even worse. Aren't you seeing any bumblebees on your trees? They have become prolific here in Southeast Pa. as the honeybee diminishes.
"THEY"
No, I haven't been seeing any bumblebees either. I hope they start showing up! May have to pollinate my berries myself if I don't start seeing any of SOMETHING.
Keith
I blame Monsanto's genetically engineered seed stock for the lack of pollen and hence the shortage of bees,remember that Einstein said man would last for four years if all the bees disappeared.
Guest_Jolly Roger
"vlam67, Maybe they could rally the killer bees to attack Bush and his cronies for inaction on global warming and an appalling environmental record! That might be more fun than impeachment."

I'm sure this is just an innocent mistake in this case, but what "vlam67" said (above) is typical of what you might expect from a government troll. He appears to be a "Bush hater" by suggesting that our idiotic president should be attacked by killer bees, but at the same time he's pushing for support for the latest governmenbt hoax, better known as "global warming."

Protecting our environment is an important struggle, but unfortunately, the people who want to do so are being led astray with this global warming non-sense, which diverts them from the real environmental problems such as depleted uranium, and genetically modified food and seeds (also a possible culprit inthe disappearance of the bees, but not mentioned in this article).
Please go to you-tube, or google video (I forget which one) and watch the movie titled "The Great Global Warming Swindle" to see what I'm talking about. This is just another government scam disguised as a "grass-roots movement" that's designed to work against your best interests, and get you to insist on more government control over your lives for no benefit.
I hope I don't have to remind you that Nick Rockerfellar admitted that the women's liberation movement (another "grass-roots" classic deception) was funded by his grandfather just to double the workforce, break up families, and get more people paying taxes. As a result we now have a handful of female executives, and 10 million struggling mothers who have to work at McDonalds instead of caring for their children.
You're going to have to question evereything you hear from the MSM and the gov't, and start seeing through these deceptions if we're going to survive.
Goaway
Chemtrails?
Al Queda?
Global Climate Change?
Frankenfruit?

lagniappe
Perhaps there were more Africa bees in the wild than anyone had estimated.
And cross breading with the European bees. Which one of the traits of the killer bee or the African bee is to leave the colony when disturb by some threat. The
problem is the threat could be many triggers or stimuli that hybrid bees are endowed with now.
soundhertz
No, I haven't been seeing any bumblebees either.  I hope they start showing up!  May have to pollinate my berries myself if I don't start seeing any of SOMETHING.   

May I suggest planting butterfly attractants; usually those flowers will attract bees wasps and hummingbirds too. Don't worry about the wasps - they're all mellow when they're feeding, and small wasps of all kinds are beneficial creatures to have around. Mix up the flowers; insects like the blend more than isolated plantings.

Anything from the aster family: asters of course, zinnia, coneflower, pyrethrum, any daisy, sunflower especially the large head/small petal cultivars, mums, gazania, gaillardia, even dandelion (they increase lawn health)

Milkweed, Butterfly bush, all the lantana you can stand, heliotrope, lavender, Rose of Sharon, salvia, impatiens.

Bees really like Rose of Sharon, borage, clover, snapdragon, zinnia, monarda and all garden vegetables and herbs. Most of aforementioned are nectar plants, not larval foods.

Obviously there's much more; here's a few from my own experience.

QUOTE (->
No, I haven't been seeing any bumblebees either.  I hope they start showing up!  May have to pollinate my berries myself if I don't start seeing any of SOMETHING.   

May I suggest planting butterfly attractants; usually those flowers will attract bees wasps and hummingbirds too. Don't worry about the wasps - they're all mellow when they're feeding, and small wasps of all kinds are beneficial creatures to have around. Mix up the flowers; insects like the blend more than isolated plantings.

Anything from the aster family: asters of course, zinnia, coneflower, pyrethrum, any daisy, sunflower especially the large head/small petal cultivars, mums, gazania, gaillardia, even dandelion (they increase lawn health)

Milkweed, Butterfly bush, all the lantana you can stand, heliotrope, lavender, Rose of Sharon, salvia, impatiens.

Bees really like Rose of Sharon, borage, clover, snapdragon, zinnia, monarda and all garden vegetables and herbs. Most of aforementioned are nectar plants, not larval foods.

Obviously there's much more; here's a few from my own experience.

Perhaps there were more Africa bees in the wild than anyone had estimated.
And cross breading with the European bees.  Which one of the traits of the killer bee or the African bee is to leave the colony when disturb by some threat.  The
problem is the threat could be many triggers or stimuli that hybrid bees are endowed with now.

The irony would be if the African bees are the only solution.
Alline
"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man."

~Albert Einstein~
Jennifer Rose
Bees disappeared on Cornwall Island in the massive airborne fluoride emissions 300lbs/hr from Reynolds and Alcoa plants upwind.
Gene
Studies in Europe have suggested that mobile phones may be the problem by interfering with the bees navigation system preventing them finding their way home. Are we willing to sacrifice this convenience to avert what could become a global disaster?
photojack
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/...icle2449968.ece
This will link to an article about the disappearance of the world's bees.

"German research has long shown that bees' behaviour changes near power lines.

Now a limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. Dr Jochen Kuhn, who carried it out, said this could provide a "hint" to a possible cause.

Dr George Carlo, who headed a massive study by the US government and mobile phone industry of hazards from mobiles in the Nineties, said: "I am convinced the possibility is real." From the above article.

Now, instead of signs that say, "Hang up and drive" referring to cell phone use, we now may need signs that say, "HANG UP TO LIVE!" Or maybe the double entendre, "HANG UP FOR LIFE!"
Guest_Aaron
You know I find it funny when they have facts that cell phone's electrical transmissions are affecting the bees, people can't accept that their "device" that's so handy is actually doing that, so they have to blame someone for it. I actually hope all the bees die, then the human race will die. Obviously the human race needs to die, we're killing the earth, we're destroying it specie by specie. No one wants to accept the tragic ending, but eventually it will come, ans much faster then you think.Good luck giving your cell phones up, hope you change your mind, but I doubt you will smile.gif
adoucette
I actually hope all the bees die, then the human race will die

Why not get a HEAD START on the inevitable than?

Arthur
Aedan Kane
Anybody suggested the magnetic field yet? Its been weakening for thousands of years, and almost all animals rely somewhat upon it; Perhaps the bees are simply the most sensitive and the first to be affected

Attyphleger@aol.com
Zephir
QUOTE (Aedan Kane+Apr 26 2007, 04:29 AM)
Anybody suggested the magnetic field yet?

The electromagnetic radiation of BTS is under cloud, because it radiates a polarized EM radiation and the bees are sensitive to the polarized radiation, because they're using it for navigation, like many other insects. For example is well known, the locusts invaders can be detracted by the mirrors reflecting the polarized light by similar way, like the water surface. In agreement of this, the bees were found to lose its orientation capability after exposition of microwave radiation.

But by my opinion the disappearance of bees (CCD) is the result of so called horizontal gene transfer (HGT) between the genetically modified crops and the gastrointestinal microorganisms, which are serving the bees for digestion. Under normal circumstances the bees have no chance to contact with the soil bacteria, from which these genes were originated, but at the case of genetically modified plants, their genes can be transfered by pole, which these poor bees are collecting as a protein food source. This mechanism is somewhat similar to the mechanism of CJD disease spreading, mediated by prions.

I hope, this case would mean the end of uncontrolled genetic experiments, especially in the food production. If it wouldn't lead to the end of the whole food production more earlier, of course.
Papa T
I wonder if anybody has investigated if the use of mosquito traps has any effect on the honeybees. These traps use CO2 to lure in mosquitoes and then it kills them quickly. These are great for your backyard, but they may also lure other insects without trapping or killing them right away. I've noticed more and more of these traps over the last 6 or 7 years, and I understand that is about how long the bee population has been declining. Just food for thought, it might be worth checking out.
soundhertz
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/05...phones_are.html

This latest article debunks the cell-phone theory, though tests involving em radiation have been done, and bees decidedly don't like high tension power lines. Imidacloprid (Merit) is still officially regarded as the favored culprit, though the thinking is geared to a devil's brew of contributors. While we actually have no real idea of how many hives/beekeepers there are out there (can you believe it, something the government hasn't tracked) the estimates average out to about 2.5 million, of which some 40% have died. So cell phones, Merit, mites, or whatever else, Colony Collapse Disorder is still in high gear, affecting 27 states, even though it's not news-savvy anymore.

A most interesting article appeared 5/30 in the Vancouver Sun,
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...c2-3599157989d7, which describes an apparent lack of CCD within organic hives across the U.S. I'm sure the scientists will be looking into this, as presumedly no Merit or anything else would be used within thousands of meters of the organic hive.
rethinker
I was looking for another topic, when I came across this bee topic.
Just a thought on the fact that the bees may be showing us something.

I think people are the last to know when disaster is about to happen.
One of the title waves that hit Japan, had warnings by differences noticed in nature.

The dolphins in zoos were swimming ccw instead of normal cw, and fishermen were catching fish at a rate they never saw before.

Even the scared water had shown signs of difference in quality.

I am not a doomdayist, but I think what you all have offered is important to watch out for.

Just from this topic, I now will watch what I put on my lawn, and pay attention to my neighbors bee hives.
Thanks

archerdan
I posted about this once already, but it was taken out of the system.

So I will try it again. If CCD is affecting bees all over the world, suddenly, then we should take a look at the source of their navigation, the Sun, and see what has changed, if anything. It seems like a logical place to start. Especially when so many people are concerned about climate change.

Dan
soundhertz
There has been a breakthrough of sorts on Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD): a virus called Israeli acute paralysis virus (was discovered in Israel) has been identified. This virus came to the U.S. from Australia in 2004, which is when CCD symptoms started occuring.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gZQU-oD...ILUeZCZQpttwttw

As has been said before, there is no one culprit; there are several contributors to the honeybee turmoil, but this may turn out to be the big player. Verifying experiments are scheduled.
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.