To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: Mushrooms Are Not Plants?
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > Biology, Chemistry, Medicine, Other Sciences > Biology

photonic-sourcing
What is correct: Classification: plant / animal or Monera, protista, fungi, plants and animals? I mean, mushrooms are not plants?
adoucette
QUOTE (photonic-sourcing+May 10 2010, 07:31 AM)
What is correct: Classification: plant / animal or Monera, protista, fungi, plants and animals? I mean, mushrooms are not plants?

Mushrooms are one of the many types of Fungi.

They are neither plants or animals.

One major difference from plants is that their cell walls contain chitin while plants contain cellulose.

Chitin is also found in the shells of crustaceans and insects, and is one of the reasons that Fungi are considered more closely related to animals than plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitin

Arthur
soundhertz
Fungi may even share a single cell ancestor with animals.
They haven't evolved stomachs yet though.
I wonder how many well-informed vegans there are? rolleyes.gif
tikay
wink.gif I have made this point several times in here...why do our vegan cousins believe/suppose that they ae doing no harm, sentient life is anything that lives a life cycle isn't it? It's not very well thought out is it ?
enord
QUOTE (soundhertz+May 10 2010, 10:15 AM)
Fungi may even share a single cell ancestor with animals.
They haven't evolved stomachs yet though.
I wonder how many well-informed vegans there are? rolleyes.gif

psilosybin mushroom / licking frog?
adoucette
QUOTE (tikay+May 10 2010, 12:47 PM)
wink.gif  I have made this point several times in here...why do our vegan cousins believe/suppose that they ae doing no harm, sentient life is anything that lives a life cycle isn't it? It's not very well thought out is it ?

My vegan friends are a tad more laid back and only draw the line at eating anything with a face.

Which means they have no problem with oysters or clams, some will eat shellfish (apparently it's debateable as to whether a shrimp has a face), but won't eat fish.

They all eat mushrooms.

Still, given long enough evolution......

http://kathysceramickreations.com/images/a...face_web_ok.jpg

Arthur
El_Machinae
I guess the vegetarian pizza isn't so vegetarian anymore!
flyingbuttressman
QUOTE (El_Machinae+May 10 2010, 08:38 PM)
I guess the vegetarian pizza isn't so vegetarian anymore!

On the other hand, the fungitarian pizza is amazing.
tikay
When I was growing up, we (mom) became a lacto-ovo vegetarian...most of you will understand that, she ate eggs & dairy along with almost always plants & then (when she cheated) she sometimes would allow for fish and very rarely chicken.

The problem with strict vegetarians, having some experience...may be IF & When they eventually fall from grace, as in...one year my step-dad who was very strict about his diet, way more than my mom was, decided to go ahead & have some turkey at Christmastime (" I can almost hear it "Oh What the Hey" or some such) as he grabbed up like five large pieces of bird (or was it Thanksgiving?) well whatever...the turkey was so delicious, that, that little breach led to piling his empty plate full ah pork as well (im sure with some veges too)...and he consumed about half the turkey & half the ham and left us all to the rest, to the great chagrin of all the poeple in my family he had been testifying to about the ill effects for oh so long....oh lordy, the mighty do fall. I love vegetarians, ihave been one at some point...& i love vegans, pure hearted people with a cause...but I love a good laugh when someone who is usually so rigid, throws all caution to the wind
~*~

My family was never gonna let him live that incident down, and he knew it... all in all it was fairly, um...hilarius!

That's him behind me, the oh so cute young'n with the cheeks...after a cross country journey to Cali...

User posted image: <a target='_blank' href='http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2258/194019769463984677.jpg'>User posted image</a>
light in the tunnel
I know some people who only eat meat from road kill because they consider it a waste not to recycle the biomass. I think many ethical vegetarians would say that fungus are different because they don't have nervous systems. I don't think sponges have nervous systems, but I think all other animals do, even if they don't have faces, brains, or spines. I think worms are the "lowest" animal species with a brain. Shellfish don't have brains, do they?
AlexG
I know some people who only eat meat from road kill

The Beverly Hillbillies.

You know some strange people.
El_Machinae
QUOTE (flyingbuttressman+May 11 2010, 12:44 AM)
On the other hand, the fungitarian pizza is amazing.

You just triggered an irrational disgust response in me!

tongue.gif
flyingbuttressman
QUOTE (El_Machinae+May 11 2010, 03:49 PM)
You just triggered an irrational disgust response in me!

Ever tried Asiago Portobello pizza?
No meat.
No veggies.
Just cheese, sauce and fungi.
tongue.gif
AlexG
I like mushroom pizza. I'm not crazy about portabellas, I like white mushrooms on my pie.
egnorant
What if you only eat animals that eat plants?
I love to pick on my vegetarian friends by pointing out that slaughterhouse waste is used as fertilizer for grain crops.

I may chow down on a porkchop from a pig my niece named Fluffy, but at least I'm not a hypocrite!

Bruce
Matador
I try to minimize the amount of meat i consume. For example, i won't really mind if i don't eat meat every day. I'm just not a meaty type person to begin with.

On a side note, i wish i had the skills to be able to identify certain types of mushrooms. biggrin.gif

It's very difficult to do so from pictures sad.gif

Any suggestions?
adoucette
QUOTE (Matador+May 12 2010, 02:05 AM)
On a side note, i wish i had the skills to be able to identify certain types of mushrooms. biggrin.gif

It's very difficult to do so from pictures sad.gif

Any suggestions?

Yes.

DON'T

There is no safe rule-of-thumb to differentiate a poisonous from an edible mushroom.

There are no antidotes for poisonous mushrooms.

Eat the wrong mushroom and you may suffer a slow agonizing death when your liver and pancreas fail.

Arthur
light in the tunnel
QUOTE (egnorant+May 12 2010, 02:57 AM)
What if you only eat animals that eat plants?
I love to pick on my vegetarian friends by pointing out that slaughterhouse waste is used as fertilizer for grain crops.

I may chow down on a porkchop from a pig my niece named Fluffy, but at least I'm not a hypocrite!

Bruce

I think that's why "animals that chew the cud" are recommended in the bible, along with locusts, as food. Human digestive systems can't digest certain plant cells, but they can use animals to digest them for them.

I don't really see the difference between using slaughterhouse waste and fecal matter as fertilizer, as long as it's composted. I also don't see the hypocricy in recycling something that someone else throws away. Saying that a vegetarian who eats vegetables grown using slaughterhouse waste is contributing to the slaughter of animals is like saying that someone who recycles paper is contributing to deforestation.

Personally, I think it makes sense to raise livestock that could be used as food if it became necessary, but it also makes sense to me to avoid slaughtering that livestock until it became necessary, either because of population problems in the herds or because of famine among humans. As long as there was no famine or problems with the animals, I would just raise them as backup and use their manure as fertilizer.
soundhertz
You eat pork chops from your niece's pig? tongue.gif

As far as identifying shrooms goes, you really have to know your stuff. I've gathered, identified, and eaten thousands of wild shrooms, but only after extensive reading, extensive spore prints, and in general making myself a mycological expert. I am no longer an expert. You need to refresh your knowledge CONTINUOUSLY, because there is no second chance from ONE mistake. I have read that the most horrible death known, is from ingesting Amanita Virosa, Phalloides, or certain Conocybes. Very dangerous, as Conocybes are related to Psilocybes, and there are even a couple of dangerous Psilocybes, as well as RELATIVELY safe Amanitas. If Physics was like mycology, we'd have no cranks...

Spore prints are the safest method of identification, but you better have ACCURATE spore charts, and you better not be color-blind.

NO ONE should engage in this AT ALL unless you are 100% certain you know EXACTLY what you are doing. There is no antidote, especially for amatoxins. Boiling sulfuric acid is the weakest compound that breaks the amatoxin molecules up.
tikay
QUOTE (adoucette+May 12 2010, 06:36 AM)
Yes.

DON'T

There is no safe rule-of-thumb to differentiate a poisonous from an edible mushroom.

There are no antidotes for poisonous mushrooms.

Eat the wrong mushroom and you may suffer a slow agonizing death when your liver and pancreas fail.

Arthur

I'm with Arty... biggrin.gif DON'T TRY IT Matador....we love you man!!!

Didn't you see that movie about that young dude, living off the land in Alaska? Sheesh...lol
tikay
QUOTE (light in the tunnel+May 12 2010, 06:54 AM)
I think that's why "animals that chew the cud" are recommended in the bible, along with locusts, as food.  Human digestive systems can't digest certain plant cells, but they can use animals to digest them for them.

I don't really see the difference between using slaughterhouse waste and fecal matter as fertilizer, as long as it's composted.  I also don't see the hypocricy in recycling something that someone else throws away.  Saying that a vegetarian who eats vegetables grown using slaughterhouse waste is contributing to the slaughter of animals is like saying that someone who recycles paper is contributing to deforestation.

Personally, I think it makes sense to raise livestock that could be used as food if it became necessary, but it also makes sense to me to avoid slaughtering that livestock until it became necessary, either because of population problems in the herds or because of famine among humans.  As long as there was no famine or problems with the animals, I would just raise them as backup and use their manure as fertilizer.

You ARE kidding me right...of course we (who consume/use RECYCLED Paper are contributers to the system of consumerism....which elicits a need for more deforestation) We may be using less and causing less deforestation but we are not stopping the flow of traffic in rain forests...no way!

I WISH WE WERE...
Unless you weld power and influence by the millions (quantity) as in millions are now taking part in GREEN REVOLUTION actions...or you weld a powerful influence socially or politically, you are not stopping one tree being cut down to be manufactured into product.

I REALLy want to go live naturally...sans clothing and toilet paper needs even at times...BUT....I have grown accustomed to the comforts of American living....I want a Ti pi & a Yurt on some backwoods land BUT I want my 'puter & sometimes to get out & see a good concert or something...ya know?

I wasn't really aware of the way I owe a debt of gratitude to certain animals for chewing the more volatile plant life for me...thanks! I'll take 'em some apples soon.
flyingbuttressman
tikay,

I believe you have hit upon the very reason why LITT has a negative feedback score.
tikay
well flying...you have PEAKED my curiosity...DO TeLL...

((((ahhhhh ohhhh...LIghT in Tha TuNNeL )))))

oh I see whut you mean, well

i THOUGHT YOU MEANT SOMEONE ELSE called Litt for a sec

WELL Light means well...I Like him myself...shoot he's the kinda wierdo i like to bring home for a romp, prolly wink.gif
flyingbuttressman
QUOTE (tikay+May 12 2010, 12:43 PM)
WELL Light means well...I Like him myself...shoot he's the kinda wierdo i like to bring home for a romp, prolly wink.gif

I think he means well too, but he has much to learn.
adoucette
QUOTE (tikay+May 12 2010, 11:28 AM)
You ARE kidding me right...of course we (who consume/use RECYCLED Paper are contributers to the system of consumerism....which elicits a need for more deforestation) We may be using less and causing less deforestation but we are not stopping the flow of traffic in rain forests...no way!

I WISH WE WERE...
Unless you weld power and influence by the millions (quantity) as in millions are now taking part in GREEN REVOLUTION actions...or you weld a powerful influence socially or politically, you are not stopping one tree being cut down to be manufactured into product.

Well.......

ACTUALLY......

Your use of paper products has no impact at all on the Rain Forests.

Our paper comes from our forests.

BUT

Forest growth nationally has exceeded harvest since the 1940s.

By 1997 forest growth exceeded harvest by 42 percent and the volume of forest growth was 380 percent greater than it had been in 1920.

Nationally, the average standing wood volume per acre in US forests is about one-third greater today than in 1952;

In the East, average volume per acre has almost doubled.

US Wood consumption by major product:

lumber - 263 million cubic meters (47%);
pulpwood-based products - 178 million cubic meters (32%); <== Toilet Paper here
plywood and veneer products - 35 million cubic meters (6%);
wood fuel - 72 million cubic meter (13%).
other products - 14 million cubic meters (2 %)

So even though US wood products consumption has increased by 50% since 1965, from 374 to 563 million cubic meters annually, the amount of our forests has also increased.

So very clearly we are managing our forests in North America quite well, and they are GROWING, not shrinking.

Which is why they are a valuable resource, not only for timber, paper, packaging but also as the very essence of a renewable and carbon neutral fuel.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/meeting/x4995e.htm#P56_2748

Or consider that about 33 percent of the United States, or ~747 million acres is forested.

About 52 million acres of this forestland is reserved for non-timber uses and managed by public agencies as parks, wilderness or similar areas.

About 191 million acres are not productive for growing wood for harvest, but are of used for watershed protection, wildlife habitat, and other uses (most of these forests are in land that is too steep/remote for commercial logging).

Then there are the even more massive Canadian Forests.

Of the ~1,030 million acres of forests in Canada, ~578 million acres are considered "commercial forests" in that they are capable of producing commercial species of trees as well as other non-timber benefits.

BUT, much less than half of these forests are actually used for timber production.

So the net is, with ~1.8 billion acres of forest in the US and Canada, we have no shortage of forests.

Finally, one of the BEST renewable fuels based on wood, comes primarily from wood waste from other uses, wood pellet fuel.

http://www.woodpelletstoves.net/benefits.html

Arthur
occidental
I thought this thread was about mushrooms. If you want to post your "fun facts" about deforestation, maybe you should start a new thread about it.

Remember Arthur, nobody likes a hypocrite.
adoucette
QUOTE (occidental+May 12 2010, 12:33 PM)
I thought this thread was about mushrooms. If you want to post your "fun facts" about deforestation, maybe you should start a new thread about it.

Remember Arthur, nobody likes a hypocrite.

No the original thread asked a specific question, which was answered.

Oh, and yes, that was by me .....

http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=457813

Since then it's just been a meandering discussion about various sundry things.

Arthur
enord
so u caaant sample a minimal amount to test? or smoke them?
adoucette
QUOTE (enord+May 12 2010, 02:07 PM)
so u caaant sample a minimal amount to test? or smoke them?

Well 0.1 mg/kg is the minimal lethal dose of amatoxin for adults but there can be as much as 15mg of amatoxin in a single Amanita cap.

So if you weigh under 100 kg then less than one cap can be fatal,

BUT

It's a very potent liver and pancreas toxin, so if you eat just 1/4 of a cap (say 4 mg of amatoxin) you could STILL do so much damage to your liver and pancreas that even though you don't DIE, you are still going to be the shadow of your former self from then on, all the way to needing a liver transplant.

I love mushrooms and even grow some on logs, but wild harvesting simply isn't worth it unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

And anyone posting questions asking about it, certainly isn't in that category.

As Soundhertz posted, mushroom identification is quite tricky, and requires a complete and detailed knowledge of how to classify the various parts that make up a mushroom, a microscope and examination of the spores which are collected via making a spoor print and then compared to accurate spore charts.

Arthur
soundhertz
All of these folksy sayings are patently FALSE:

* Poisonous mushrooms tarnish a silver spoon.
    * If it peels, you can eat it.
    * All mushrooms growing on wood are edible.
    * Mushrooms that squirrels or other animals eat are safe for humans.
    * All mushrooms in meadows and pastures are safe to eat.
    * All white mushrooms are safe. 
    * Poisonous mushrooms can be detoxified by parboiling, drying or pickling.
    *Only safe psilocybes bruise blue.
    *All chocolate-spored mushrooms are edible.

The following statements are TRUE:

*Edible species can look just like poisonous species.
*Similar looking edible and poisonous species can grow right next to each other.
*If a spore print is not in the dark brown/dark purple brown color area, it is not safe.
*All nibbled at mushrooms are unsafe.
*Every popular edible mushroom has at least one poisonous lookalike.

None of these comments concern other fungi. The comments pertain to gilled mushrooms only.
Here's a good site, and it links to all the relevant books.
http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles.htm

I said all this, because if you TRULY use due diligence and learn, mushroom hunting is immensely rewarding. It was for me, and I'm still here, because I truly learned.

For those who love shrooms but don't want to be bothered, there are pre-inoculated kits available online for all kinds of edibles, and multiple-species kits are available. I bought one as a gift; it was 50/50 common white agaric and portabella. It flushed 3 times and they were really delicious. We marinaded the giant portabella caps and then grilled them like burgers. Tasted like filet mignon on a roll.
QUOTE (->

* Poisonous mushrooms tarnish a silver spoon.
    * If it peels, you can eat it.
    * All mushrooms growing on wood are edible.
    * Mushrooms that squirrels or other animals eat are safe for humans.
    * All mushrooms in meadows and pastures are safe to eat.
    * All white mushrooms are safe. 
    * Poisonous mushrooms can be detoxified by parboiling, drying or pickling.
    *Only safe psilocybes bruise blue.
    *All chocolate-spored mushrooms are edible.

The following statements are TRUE:

*Edible species can look just like poisonous species.
*Similar looking edible and poisonous species can grow right next to each other.
*If a spore print is not in the dark brown/dark purple brown color area, it is not safe.
*All nibbled at mushrooms are unsafe.
*Every popular edible mushroom has at least one poisonous lookalike.

None of these comments concern other fungi. The comments pertain to gilled mushrooms only.
Here's a good site, and it links to all the relevant books.
http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles.htm

I said all this, because if you TRULY use due diligence and learn, mushroom hunting is immensely rewarding. It was for me, and I'm still here, because I truly learned.

For those who love shrooms but don't want to be bothered, there are pre-inoculated kits available online for all kinds of edibles, and multiple-species kits are available. I bought one as a gift; it was 50/50 common white agaric and portabella. It flushed 3 times and they were really delicious. We marinaded the giant portabella caps and then grilled them like burgers. Tasted like filet mignon on a roll.
Wild Mushroom Bruschetta

Adapted from Chef Doug D’Avico
(serves 4)

Ingredients

8 oz wild mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed of any fibrous ends
medium sized shallot, diced (original recipe called for an onion)
3 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tbs. olive oil
3 tbs. sweet masala (or dry white wine)
1/4 cup heavy cream

3 tbs.  pecorino sardo (
2 tbs. fresh thyme
salt to taste
lemon to taste
8 pieces of crusty bread

Preparation

Pre-heat a 12” sauté pan over med high heat till hot. Add the cleaned mushrooms and tablespoon of the butter and cook till the mushrooms are soft and are starting to release their water. Cook for 3 minutes longer and then add the diced shallots.

Add the remaining tablespoon of butter, season with a little salt and pepper and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes over the med high heat and cook till the shallots start to caramelize. Do not burn.

You want to cook the mushrooms and shallots till the liquid is all most evaporated. Remove the pan from the heat and add the Marsala carefully as the alcohol will catch on fire when you return it to the stove.

Reduce the Marsala by 2/3 and then add the cream. Bring to a boil and reduce to a sauce consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes. Check the seasoning and remove from the heat keeping the sauce warm till ready to use.

Cut 8 pieces of bread from the baguette about 1/2 inch thick on a 45 degree bias.

Toss the bread with a little splash of olive oil, salt and pepper. You can toast the bread in a hot oven or grill for a couple of minutes to warm the bread.

Next smear some of the cheese on each piece of bread and sprinkle a few fresh thyme leaves on top.

Arrange 2 pieces of bread per plate and divide the mushroom sauce over the four plates. Drizzle a small amount of the olive oil over each plate and few thyme leaves and serve immediately.

For the truly truffle-loving, there is a site called Truffle Tree, where you can adopt a tree (in France) that supports truffles, and they send your truffle harvest to your door.
Fascinating and cool, it's not exactly cheap tho... smile.gif
enord
QUOTE (adoucette+May 12 2010, 02:24 PM)
Well 0.1 mg/kg is the minimal lethal dose of amatoxin for adults but there can be as much as 15mg of amatoxin in a single Amanita cap.

So if you weigh under 100 kg then less than one cap can be fatal,

BUT

It's a very potent liver and pancreas toxin, so if you eat just 1/4 of a cap (say 4 mg of amatoxin) you could STILL do so much damage to your liver and pancreas that even though you don't DIE, you are still going to be the shadow of your former self from then on, all the way to needing a liver transplant.

I love mushrooms and even grow some on logs, but wild harvesting simply isn't worth it unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

And anyone posting questions asking about it, certainly isn't in that category.

As Soundhertz posted, mushroom identification is quite tricky, and requires a complete and detailed knowledge of how to classify the various parts that make up a mushroom, a microscope and examination of the spores which are collected via making a spoor print and then compared to accurate spore charts.

Arthur

mushroom been picked be4 microscopes & whatever else?
every drug is a relative poison & vice-versa!
fry the toxic out or boil it, or burn it per smoking?
adoucette
QUOTE (enord+May 12 2010, 02:59 PM)
fry the toxic out or boil it, or burn it per smoking?

I don't know about smoking it, but as I understand it there is no cooking method which will render a poisonous mushroom safe to eat.

Arthur
enord
QUOTE (adoucette+May 12 2010, 03:02 PM)
I don't know about smoking it, but as I understand it there is no cooking method which will render a poisonous mushroom safe to eat.

Arthur

thanx. i wikied the amotoxin molecule & wondered whether dillution by oil,water, or fire might alter it
soundhertz
thanx. i wikied the amotoxin molecule & wondered whether dillution by oil,water, or fire might alter it

Read my post.
QUOTE (->

Read my post.Boiling sulfuric acid is the weakest compound that breaks the amatoxin molecules up.

I think I see what you're looking for.

Sooo...
Only the bright red small-capped Amanita Muscaria has the muscimol to trip on. And they only grow in Siberia and other isolated far north patches. The larger capped yellow Amanita Muscaria found throughout temperate climes has almost no muscimol, and a relatively greater proportion of amatoxins. Both these varieties are the same species. A. muscaria probably has the lowest concentration of the toxin of any Amanita, but why take chances? Individual mushrooms themselves can vary greatly. ie, the pH values for psilocybes are the prime determinant of their potency, and the pH can fluctuate dramatically throughout the day. Mushrooms are very dynamic creatures. Don't take chances with ANY Amanita; I don't care what Wiki says. You can pick one that, because of proprietary local conditions invisible to you, can be unusually high in the toxin. And then, you're done.

btw, I don't believe that muscimol is actually illegal, so if you really care, you can put all this info together, google the mushroom, peruse the page down past the Wiki link, ...
adoucette
QUOTE (adoucette+May 12 2010, 01:28 PM)
No the original thread asked a specific question, which was answered.

Oh, and yes, that was by me .....

http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=457813

Since then it's just been a meandering discussion about various sundry things.

Arthur

In case anyone is interested.

I received this "threat" in a PM from occidental:

QUOTE (occidental+)
You shouldnt have done what you did, because you fucked with the wrong poster.

Because of this level of immaturity, I figure he's still in his teens.

Too much testosterone, not enough brains.

laugh.gif

Arthur
tikay
And what does he think he is going to do you you, ruin your reputation...(not that you don't have a great one with most) seesh...that could be taken all wrong I spose!
There oughta be a Law...
biggrin.gif

I was bringing a time lapse vid here of that 'shroom.... about an hour ago, but youtube pulls me in and now that i am done with "levitating Yogi's" im back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s_fpRUqpuE

What is with that guy Hawk who eats the most toxic mushrooms...in youtube you think Arthur?

here is one with his recklessness, (even if he can do it), not sure it's wise to promote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzpD1VsN9Ig&feature=related
Matador
Thanks for the heads up guys, i kind of knew that mushrooms can be quite lethal, but didn't know that identification of them needed such expertise. sad.gif

Perhaps one day, if i gain sufficient knowledge i will tackle this again.

cool.gif
adoucette
Not sure where you live, but if you do some checking you may be able to find a Mushroom club, which will allow you to go out with people who are knowlegable about identifing mushrooms and who have already identified edible mushrooms growing locally (and where they grow) and will follow proper procedures for identifing new mushrooms when they are found.

http://www.mykoweb.com/na_mycos.html

Arthur

occidental
Thats just like you arthur, to take something out of context and spin it into something its not. Why didnt you include the links I sent you, the ones for the Internet Addiction Support Group? Im just trying to help you arthur, its not my fault youre in denial. Maybe you should try and be a little more honest with yourself.
adoucette
QUOTE (occidental+May 13 2010, 08:28 AM)
Thats just like you arthur, to take something out of context and spin it into something its not. Why didnt you include the links I sent you, the ones for the Internet Addiction Support Group? Im just trying to help you arthur, its not my fault youre in denial. Maybe you should try and be a little more honest with yourself.

Maybe because you are LYING about providing any links?

This is your COMPLETE PM:

QUOTE (Occidental+)
Really, Im laughing at you a lot. You shouldnt have done what you did, because you fucked with the wrong poster.

Nothing is taken out of context.

You do seem to be an adolescent with a serious lack of control.

If you are an adult, then that's just sad.

Arthur
El_Machinae
This thread was more fun when I was complaining about pizzas
adoucette
QUOTE (El_Machinae+May 13 2010, 09:15 AM)
This thread was more fun when I was complaining about pizzas

Sorry.

Apparently I've picked up a stalker who now follows me around from thread to thread.

Arthur
tikay
hmmm...he caused you to completely forgettabout tikay too....harummph!
mad.gif

it's okay...I know you'll eventually answer????
unsure.gif

Leave him alone occi...didn't yer motha teach you to play with everyone?
boit
Late in embryology, the gonads in males descends to their proper place. In a very unfortunate case we're seeing here, figuratively speaking, it is the brains that seems to have descended. It's less likely to be civil if you have balls for brains. But perhaps I may be wrong. Cryptococcus neoformus may be the actual culprit. I'll stalk the stalker. Consider that as a real bipedal antivirus. smile.gif
adoucette
QUOTE (tikay+May 12 2010, 10:45 PM)
What is with that guy Hawk who eats the most toxic mushrooms...in youtube you think Arthur?

Actually he's not eating one that is considered to be that toxic.

Amanita muscaria contains a number of biologically active agents, at least two of which, muscimol and ibotenic acid, are known to be psychoactive. A toxic dose in adults is approximately 6 mg muscimol or 30 to 60 mg ibotenic acid,[56][57] this is typically about the amount found in one cap of Amanita muscaria.[58] However, the amount and ratio of chemical compounds per mushroom varies widely from region to region and season to season, which further confuses the issue. Spring and summer mushrooms have been reported to contain up to 10 times as much ibotenic acid and muscimol compared to autumn fruitings.[52]

A fatal dose has been calculated at approximately 15 caps.[59] Deaths from A. muscaria have been reported in historical journal articles and newspaper reports;[60][61][62] however, with modern medical treatment a fatal outcome would be extremely rare.[63] Many older books mistakenly list it as deadly, giving the impression that it is far more toxic than it really is.[64] The North American Mycological Association has stated there are no reliably documented fatalities in the past 100 years.[65] The vast majority (90% or more) of mushroom poisoning deaths are from having eaten either the greenish to yellowish death cap (A. phalloides) or one of the several white Amanita species known as destroying angels.[66]

Oh, and also be warned, that your hydration, the relative size of the individual, the season of the year and if you happen to drink alcohol with the mushroom can all affect the toxicity.

Arthur
tikay
ahhhh I thought they were highly toxic...he eats many different varieties that same link will show (off to the side) him ingesting others, I think he may drop dead from it one day, but maybe he really does have shamanic powers, as he claims~

Here he claims to be ingesting the second deadliest mushroom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ1EQqldheI&feature=related
adoucette
QUOTE (tikay+May 13 2010, 11:37 AM)
ahhhh I thought they were highly toxic...he eats many different varieties that same link will show (off to the side) him ingesting others, I think he may drop dead from it one day, but maybe he really does have shamanic powers, as he claims~

Here he claims to be ingesting the second deadliest mushroom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ1EQqldheI&feature=related

Again mushroom identification can't be done from just looking at it.

No telling what he's eating, but we do know that Amanita phalloides will (and has) killed quite a few people.

To add insult to injury, the death from eating a poisonous mushroom tends to be slow and agonizing.

Arthur
El_Machinae
QUOTE (adoucette+May 13 2010, 02:35 PM)
Sorry.

Apparently I've picked up a stalker who now follows me around from thread to thread.

Arthur

Probably because you're such a fun-guy! biggrin.gif
adoucette
QUOTE (El_Machinae+May 13 2010, 01:14 PM)
Probably because you're such a fun-guy!  biggrin.gif
soundhertz
Not sure where you live, but if you do some checking you may be able to find a Mushroom club, which will allow you to go out with people who are knowlegable about identifing mushrooms and who have already identified edible mushrooms growing locally (and where they grow) and will follow proper procedures for identifing new mushrooms when they are found.
Nice idea. Especially with mycology. The best experience Matador is to go out and do it. trust me, the soft stepping through woods and meadows and thresholds, keeping your eyes keen, and being amazed at how much you'll find - it will draw you in.
http://thump01.pbase.com/t1/73/522673/4/11...09.2QmDgivj.jpg
Matador
Thanks.

Nice pic too cool.gif
buttershug
QUOTE (flyingbuttressman+May 12 2010, 05:01 PM)
I think he means well too, but he has much to learn.

Which is the first thing he needs to learn.
Lasand
I only look for morel mushrooms. The season is over now. Most years I get six to eight in my back yard. This year I only had one small grey one, instead of the larger brown-yellow ones.

Went over to the river to hunt for some. No luck. Was unhappy to see that in the last six years poison ivy has spread all over the place. Between poison ivy and "itch" weed, I've lost interest in looking.

In the autumn, false morels pop up. I know to leave them alone.

Always meant to try a puff ball, but never got around to it. Used to kick the dry ones to see the cloud of spore come out.
Faery
we get mushys around here i want to pick em
but after reading though this thread im now not
so sure....
adoucette
QUOTE (Faery+May 19 2010, 01:22 AM)
we get mushys around here i want to pick em
but after reading though this thread im now not
so sure....

If you don't know what you are doing it's an organic form of Russian Roulette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-oinyjsk0&feature=related

Arthur

Lasand
The folks next door stuff the larger morel mushrooms with sausage and bake them.

I used to think they were best with steak. Don't eat much steak anymore.

Sometimes a morel mushroom omelet makes the effort seem worthwhile, I didn't have one this spring.
tikay
you know i always felt lucky and i always ended up in the ward

hahaha wink.gif

do be careful people, it can lead to dangerous places

guess i was lucky, i made it back alive rolleyes.gif
Faery
Hi guys

what are those red ones with the white spots?
their so pretty are they really that badly
poisonous?
tikay
the amanita muscaria?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlGigkPubo
Tcr
pretty they definetly are cool.gif
boit
Mushrooms are not Plants as much as Spiders are not Insects. They belong to Fungi Kingdom and Arachnids Class respectively. Plants are under Kingdom; Plants ans insects are under Class; Insecta obviously.

Catch Me If You Can. wink.gif
soundhertz
Actually he's not eating one that is considered to be that toxic.

I just want to be quoted as saying not to eat it. There are so many amanitas, the majority have the specks, and while many are toxic not deadly, it will still be a long drawn out exploration of agony.

I've sliced A. muscaria into thin slices and toasted them like potato chips, because Muscaria actually tastes good. I've ingested a fair amount of it; it's just that I do not ever advise anyone to do it, for fear of picking the wrong one. Muscaria is rarely or never red in the States, and I've seen A. muscaria growing right with A. pantherina, both deciding to be yellow on particular occasions. Panther mushroom will provide for a psychically uber-intense and physically very uncomfortable time. Ingest this one by mistake - you better have a good heart. The people of ancient Siberia who made their soma, made it out of muscaria, not the much more potent and physically uncomfortable panther growing as commonly. That guy perhaps knows places where tame versions of vicious mushrooms dependably grow. Mushrooms won't manufacture dangerous chemicals that they are not supposed to have, but they will change the levels of their respective chemistry constantly.
bananasss
Mushrooms are fungi. biggrin.gif

tikay
unsure.gif I had my share of painful mushroom experiences. i'll not be trying anything that isn't also packaged for common consumption ever never again. Of course there were the high highs along with those low lows. Such is daily living, on Spaceship Earth.
biggrin.gif
boit
QUOTE (tikay+Aug 12 2010, 05:08 AM)
unsure.gif I had my share of painful mushroom experiences. i'll not be trying anything that isn't also packaged for common consumption ever never again. Of course there were the high highs along with those low lows. Such is daily living, on Spaceship Earth.
biggrin.gif

When you say you'll not try anything not packaged for 'common' consumption, do you limit this statement to only mushrooms or all other foodstuff? And by packaging, do you mean as in milk inside a packet, pizza in its box e.t.c.? If so, don't travell out of your country, or trek the length of the amazon river in 800 days. smile.gif
tikay
Aw c'mon boit...I only meant the magical type a 'shrooms...but then I suppose that was perhaps a lie, also....I might just try some of the (non-hallucinagenic sort) that isn't packaged ~ from someones basement, i'd reckon.

I like homegrown things, sans packages most. I was only saying how very very wary...I can be. Yes...I guess that my idea to move to Costa Rica, near the wilds, might not be so grand, if I were too skiddish.

;~})
boit
Home grown stuff are great. It is rumoured that you can grow cannabis for own consumption in United Kingdom of Great Britain and be within the cofines of the law. In my country that will fetch you seven years in jail. We grow almost all of our food though. Slaughtering requires only a public health officer check the meat so again it's an animal of which you know it's health history. Mushrooms too are plenty, those growing on logs are always shunned. Only the soft textured ones are selected. Good for fungerians.
tikay
Ahh~ well I currently reside in the Land of Medical Marijuana, in Southern California.

http://www.safeaccessnow.net/countyguidelines.htm

Just a few months back a young man arrived on my doorstep, with a proposition for he and I to grow in my backyard. I declined as I no longer indulge in stimulants or depressives, and didn't know of any new law at the time, and do not condone drug use, any longer.

I now refer folks to things like nutrition, meditation, and healthy living...I admire those most who choose to forgo using any mind altering chemicals, unless they are in great need of esoteric experience, in order to come to terms with issues that cause them agnst or sometimes debilitating emotional pain.

Apparently you are allowed (to grow) some plants, here and in various states, if you have the medical evaluation papers allowing marijuana use, for health reasons.

Jesuit
I'll rather call myself non flesh eater than by the common generic term vegetarian. That way, if am caught eating fungi, no questions will be asked. Never mind the plant that i ate had eaten some insect.
boit
QUOTE (Jesuit+Aug 20 2010, 05:03 PM)
I'll rather call myself non flesh eater than by the common generic term vegetarian. That way, if am caught eating fungi, no questions will be asked. Never mind the plant that i ate had eaten some insect.

For Pete's sake don't confuse matters here. The guys who strictly eat plants among other things that grow on earth and stuff call themselves Vegetarians, not Planterians, get it? For your information doctors talk about vegetation in the heart when talking of bacterial endocarditis. You can hardly call me vegetarian if I eat these vegetation from any animals heart now would you?
helenlian
nice post
indresses01
Mushrooms are not plants of the type, it is fungus.
It depends on what kind of classification method used. If you use binary demarcation, will be divided into animal and plant biology, it is the mushroom plant. If using other classification methods, it is not mushroom plant.
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.