To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: Ideal Gas Law
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > General Sci-Tech Discussions > Homework Help

justine
3. A 10 ft^3 tank contains gas at a pressure of 500 psia, temperature of 85 Fahrenheit and a weight of 25 lbs. A part of the gas was discharged and the temperature and pressure changed to 70 fahrenheit and 300 psia, respectively. Heat was applied and the temperature was back to 85 fahrenheit. Find the final weight, volume, and pressure of the gas.

how it arrive to this answer? please show a solution

Answer : 15.43 lb; 10 ft^3; 308.5 psia
rpenner
Why should we if you don't show us how you try first?
Confused2
Hi Justine,

Convert your Fahrenheit temperatures into degrees Kelvin [Moderator: Somewhat easier, and just as effective, if more obscure, degrees Rankine -- see the earlier post. http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26658 ].. if you can do that then anyone (even me, probably even you) can answer the question.

-C2.
rpenner
So this setup is the same as before:
P₁V₁/N₁T₁ = P₂V₁/N₂T₂ = P₃V₁/N₂T₃

So N₂ = (T₁/T₂)(P₂/P₁)N₁
And P₃ = (N₂/N₁)(T₃/T₁)P₁ = (T₃/T₂)P₂

Oh, and the weight of the gas is proportional to N.
Oh, and for this problem, T₃ =T₁.
Finally, your book has some odd convention with respect to rounding.
justine
Hi Sir,

Thanks for giving me some insight about this, sorry because i am trying but I can't get the correct answer. The book has answer but no slution thats why I included the answer...Thanks again and more power...
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.
© Science X : physics and technology news - Version for PDAs - Medical & Health news articles - mobile