To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: How life on Earth will look 1,000 years from now
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > PhysOrg WebLog > PhysOrg WebLog

Neutron
An apocalyptic vision of life 1,000 years from now has been painted by a team of scientists studying the effect of global warming.

If mankind does not put its house in order, temperatures could have risen by 15C (27F) by the year 3000 and sea levels by more than 11 metres (36ft), flooding much of London, the team, from the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, says in a report for the Environment Agency. Abrupt changes could make Britain much hotter, or even — such is the uncertainty of the predictions — first colder and then hotter.

This could happen if the North Atlantic current system collapsed, denying Britain the warming effect of the Gulf Stream. Ocean surface temperatures would fall by 3C (5.4F), but as the Arctic sea ice melted, they would rise again by 8C (14.4F) in an abrupt turnabout over a period of no more than about 20 years.

Read more... (Times Online)
Willember
So, we have another 194 years before we have to stop polluting. hm.
Guest_Jonathan Burns
I don't want to minimize the import of this projection. In the next few
generations we need to negotiate a complex field of responses.
Preventive forestation, new-style water and energy management,
carbon sequestration, a sustainable system of production - a whole
eco-industrial revolution.

But ... a thousand-year time frame?

A strong case can be made, that in a mere hundred years the
Earth-Moon System can become an archipelago of habitats and
automated installations, located in geosynchronous orbit,
the Earth-Moon Lagrange Points, and the Earth-Sun Lagrange
Points at about 1,300,000 kilometers out. The essential resources
are solar energy and Lunar and Near-Earth Asteroid materials.

The Sunward Earth-Sun L1 Point is of major interest. It moves
always between the Earth and Sun. We already have at least
one observatory probe there. Objects at the "ESL1" tend to
fall Earthward or Sunward eventually - they are in unstable
gravitational equilibrium. Orbits, however, can be adjusted
using lightsails.

Anything placed at or near ESL1 scatters some sunlight, and
minimally reduces the solar heating of the Earth. A managed
swarm of objects with a few times the surface area of the Moon
would produce the effect of a permanent total Lunar eclipse,
and would lower the Earth's temperature in the tropics.

That's an extreme scenario for the sake of argument. Short of
that, though, any industrialization at ESL1 will scatter light
to some extent.

As part of an Earth-Moon industrialization, a cable can be
run from the Moon, across the Earth-Moon L1 point. Advanced
nanotube technology is not required: sufficiently strong fibers
can be spun even from Lunar basalt - although we would
certainly like the resources of Near-Earth carbonaceous
asteroids. Fiber from Lunar materials can be made into
lightsails; not the high-performance, high-temperature ones
conceived for propulsion, but rather relatively dense ones
designed for small orbital adjustments.

In brief, in the time frame of this projection, we could shield
the Earth from a few percent of the Solar flux, if we had to.

Let it be emphasized: space industrialization is one part of
the web of environmental and industrial management options
which people are struggling to resolve at this time. By itself
it is not a sufficient measure. However, it can achieve certain
things, and one of them is brute-force global cooling.
howtothinklikegod
SO WHAT IF THE WORLD WILL CHANGE AFTER 1000 YEARS? Do we have to bother? No! Anyway, I'm sure scientists will do something about that.

All things experience changes. We just have to go with these changes, not worry.
Me
We're causing it, dumbass! So you want the flooding of cities(and a lot of other stuff)caused by us to "just happen"?
LOL, go with the flow i'd say lol
Then, with the flow you WILL - go. And good riddance to the lot of you, too... stupid humans.
Bachan
Sambhami Yuge Yuge

Do the least you can to make the difference. Try to understand all of us are born equal.Each one of us is capabale of making a difference if we choose to. Make the right choice.....
fivedoughnut
After the technological singularity event (predicted to arise within the next 40 years)...life experience, will be by current standards....totally incomprehensible. sad.gif
Good Elf
Listen up all you dopes... the Earth is changing right now... not a thousand years from now. I guarantee it will never go back to the way it was. You are losing diversity of species all the time. Already flowering plants are becoming significantly less able to bloom in the wild compared with only three decades ago. That alone is a death sentence for millions of humans as well as many species of living being. This is just one of the recent surprising effects that are not in the "equation" yet. Most scientists are far too conservative to save the planet. The industrialists only see the end of ecosystems as "business opportunities". Global warming is already responsible for the deaths of millions each year due to drought or deluge in dozens of fragile countries around the world. The president of the United States (an individual not so endowed with great foresight) has recently said that he accepts this as a fact now. Twelve months ago he laughed at it along with his financially influential mates. He will do nothing as well because it is a problem that will take an entire Century to partially fix if you started today. Of course the problem is getting bigger every day and some day soon it will be beyond the resources of this small planet to remedy.

Life will continue on this planet even in a thousand years but some will say why? It will not be a nice place to live and our species will be the only ones capable of "adapting" or moving to other planets. It will be a lonely soulless place to live... it will not matter much since the remaining people will need to be the same to survive.

Cheers
fivedoughnut
QUOTE (Good Elf+Feb 19 2006, 08:50 AM)
Listen up all you dopes...

laugh.gif .....excellent 1st comment!......must use that in my next post laugh.gif
GeneSplicer
Listen up all you..... moving to other planets. It will be a lonely soulless place to live... it will not matter much since the remaining people will need to be the same to survive.

Wow. So there are adults who never got over the story of Chicken Little. dry.gif
Simon sez
Tool gave some good advice back in the mid-90s in the song "Sober": Learn to swim.
Rob
The Sky is Falling...

Not to worry eh? The world (that is all of us) has consumed 2,212,273 thousand barrels of oil per day from 1973 through September of 2005. That is a total of 807,479,645,000 barrels of oil (see http://eia.doe.gov/). Of course we've used significant quantities of petroleum before 1973 but you get my point. Where does it go? All processing requires heat; from production to refining and chemical processing, resulting in emissions. Air emissions from processing petroleum are very large. Add in emissions from fuel end-use (automotive, petrochemical, manufacturing, etc.) and the air pollutant numbers are staggering. Remember those science courses in school about matter? You can't get rid of it, you can change its properties but it doesn't go away (mass balance). So everybit used goes somewhere (soil, water, air), predominantely in an uncontrolled manner. No the sky isn't falling, but emissions to the atmosphere will change our environment. Don't be an ostrich, pull your head out and think about it. The changes will cross all geo-political lines. China will make us look like rank amatures when it comes to petroleum usage and you can forget about significant emission controls there for quite some time. Just like BTO said - you ain't seen nuthin yet.

ph34r.gif
vhawk
Makes the song 'Startrekkin' applicable ..

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it; it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain.
mrstwin2
Amazing, all this stuff about how things are now or in the future but few really look at the past for a hint of what has gone on. The earth has had periods of heating and cooling throughout history. Think about it, when the earth first formed a 100 million years or so after the sun formed, it was hugely hot, and the thinking is that the atmosphere as it formed was full of CO2 and methane. Exactly how it was produced is up for debate in 2 different theroies. But I digress.

My point is this, CO2 emissions has been around for BILLIONS of years, yes we, as humas, have added to it, but nature seems to deal with it. The earth goes through cycles. Hence why we have periods called Crustaian, Jurrasic and Triassic. Species evolve, change then go extinct. We will go extinct one day, when, who knows. Getting all worked up with oh we must prevent the earth from doing its normal thing, by adapting to what is going on is human arrogance at its fullest potential. Yes we can do a few things such as build nuclear power plants, solar and wind energy as well as shift to fuel cell technology, but in the long run, if the earth wants to heat up, is that really going to stop it? I doubt it. All it would take is some volcanoes going off and think of all the heat that would be produced as well as all the ash that would block out the sky, so we would get hotter, then cooler. After Mt. Saint Helen's erupted in 1981, we had a period of 2 years that were cooler on record because the ash from it was trapped in the atmosphere. I don't hear the enviromental whacko's picketting Mother Earth and why not? If they can sign a petition during a ecology summit in Washington DC, see Penn and Teller BS show, to bank Hydrogen DiOxide, how really brilliant are these people?

I say we just start thinking smart and using our heads rather than spewing numbers that one person says is correct but another says is wrong and look at what we can really do to bring down our CO2 emissions using technology and smarts, not endless debating that has been going on since the time of Al Gore.
ILChas
For over 30 years, I've been reading books and articles about how humans were about to destroy the world. Scientist make a few observations, connect several points on a graph, and extend the line to a point where we no longer exist. I call this straight-line analysis, and it seldom works. A talking head on a new program recently predicted that China, given its recent economic growth rate, will consume ALL oil produced in the world within 30 years. Just one more conclusion based on straight-line thinking, but not very useful in reality (I am still laughing at that one). Regarding global warming, it appears to be real, but the cause is still in doubt. If we are seeing the beginning of a new global climate shift, then lets get on with planning and preparing for the changes that are known problems. If someone can come up with a replacement for oil, natural gas and coal, do it. Until then, please stop heating your home, driving your car, and using small appliances like your PC to help conserve energy. Think of it as getting use to the life you will be living in 30 years when China is using all the world's energy.
Erik
Stop harping already. All of the auto makers are working on and planning a variety of alternative vehicles, over the next 10-30 years you won’t be able to buy a gas burning car if you wanted to. There are numerous, ongoing research and development projects to find alternative methods energy production (tidal, solar, and wind based systems to name only a few). We are moving in the right direction.

However, I have to wonder, if the Hydrogen based auto really takes off, and we have all these cars emitting water and water vapor, doesn’t that also change the environmental mix by introducing "mad made" water and water vapor into the system?

Besides, none of these advances will prevent the moon from slowly drifting out if its orbit; or the sun from burning up the last of its fuel; or our galaxy from colliding with its neighbor. The planet Earth, and all life on it, is quite doomed no matter what we do.

So, until some really smart team of humans (or whatever) figure out the secret to inter-galactic travel we can only (as we are) try to make what time we have left as nice as possible. And hopefully we can do it with as little whining as possible, oops to late.

So who wants cake?
blink.gif
Simon sez
What these public speakers DON'T tell you about global warming is that H2O GAS, that is WATER VAPOR to the layman, is the SINGLE BIGGEST CONTRIBUTOR to the greenhouse effect. Not carbon dioxide or any other manmade anything. We are contributing, sure, but like some have said already, to add emphasis, IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN SOONER OR LATER. History proves this. Our ancestors that survived the first great heats and ice ages probably thought the world was not a great place to live in, but they persevered. And they didn't even have air conditioning or proper heating! So chances are we will survive this despite all the doomsday talk and naysaying going on.
PaulBored
Simon sez is correct when he says that it WILLhappen, however when it happens is crucial to the survivability of human kind.

After the technological singularity event (predicted to arise within the next 40 years)...life experience, will be by current standards....totally incomprehensible.

within 60 years most humans will be living in an entirely virtual world so even if there is an ice age, it wont matter too much.

The problem, however, is actually postponing the coming ice age for that long. In order to avoid a global natural catastrophe we must ruduce greenhouse gas emmissions; however, we must not do so too rapidly or stop alltogether (which really isn't a concern because we're having trouble reducing them at all.)
JasonB
Erik and PaulBored have got it.

Barring the sun burning out in the next 500 years or say the human race being conquered by an alien civilization or sentient machines, I think it's safe to assume we are here to stay. We will no doubt achieve type III civilization status.
Robert Bradbury
The problem is that so many people will comment on a topic like this without knowing anything about the problem. Point 1. Learn some microbiology. Point 2. Do the math.

I did a back of the envelope calculation a number of years ago that suggested if one were to dump ~55% of the U.S. annual phosphorus production and less than 1% of the annual iron production into the oceans the phytoplankton mass (which is rare element limited) could be doubled from 1 to 2 Pg. That quantity of phytoplankton would take ~5 years to *completely* consume the ~200Pg of CO2 that humans have added to the atmosphere over hundreds of years. Some of the carbon would end up as phytoplankton waste on the ocean floor while the rest would go into higher levels of the oceanic food chain where it could be harvested by the growing human population.

Scientists actually tried this to a limited extent. They fertilized the oceans with iron and were able to observe distinct blooms of phytoplankton. I have yet to see any published literature saying that this is unaffordable or would somehow disrupt critical oceanic processes.

Other people have suggested other solutions such as sun shades in outer space that reduce the quantity of solar radiation which reaches the Earth. However this seems likely to be more expensive than the option of fertilizing the oceans.

It seems to me that there are a number of scientists (and politicians) who have a lot to gain in terms of job security (and personal publicity) by crying wolf every year. The result is that the general public may perceive global warming as a problem when it already has relatively simple solutions if people simply decided to implement one or more of them.
Worldpeace
This is trash.

People should label PREDICTION thusly.

Technology will save us all.

and has.

I would like to extend a hearty '*** you' to all eschatologists and apocalyptites. The fact is you have no idea what the earth is going to look like in a 1,000 years. You can only conjecture.

We have the power to make this world as peaceful as we would so choose.

Demons begone frome my sight ... eth.

Worldpeace,
Ben
schnibitz
To: Robert Bradbury

This is a fascinating line of thought, and I appreciate you bringing it up. I had thought of similar approaches, but nothing concrete such as this. Very well articulated, and it will give me a lot to think about!
high school student
so what kind of cake do we get? smile.gif seriously what kind?
Neil Farbstein
Listen up all you dopes... the Earth is changing right now... not a thousand years from now. I guarantee it will never go back to the way it was. You are losing diversity of species all the time. Already flowering plants are becoming significantly less able to bloom in the wild compared with only three decades ago. That alone is a death sentence for millions of humans as well as many species of living being. This is just one of the recent surprising effects that are not in the "equation" yet. Most scientists are far too conservative to save the planet. The industrialists only see the end of ecosystems as "business opportunities". Global warming is already responsible for the deaths of millions each year due to drought or deluge in dozens of fragile countries around the world. The president of the United States (an individual not so endowed with great foresight) has recently said that he accepts this as a fact now. Twelve months ago he laughed at it along with his financially influential mates. He will do nothing as well because it is a problem that will take an entire Century to partially fix if you started today. Of course the problem is getting bigger every day and some day soon it will be beyond the resources of this small planet to remedy.

Life will continue on this planet even in a thousand years but some will say why? It will not be a nice place to live and our species will be the only ones capable of "adapting" or moving to other planets. It will be a lonely soulless place to live... it will not matter much since the remaining people will need to be the same to survive.

Cheers

Bush is smoking too much switchgrass. He's offering the Indians uranium and he advised them to build a lot more nuclear reactors to lower carbon dioxide emissions. That solution is worse than the problem! Terrorists
in India will get the nuclear materials to build atomic bombs or they will steal them from the Indian military and use them on us. India is a poor country and lots of guards and security people will be on the take and they might sell governement nuclear materials to terrorists. That has already happened in Russia. They might
sneak an atomic bomb onto a hijacked airliner and detonate it with a direct hit on the Pentagon or the White House.

STOP SMOKING SWITCHGRASS MR PRESIDENT!!!!!
Neil Farbstein

Cheers

Bush is smoking too much switchgrass. He's offering the Indians uranium and he advised them to build a lot more nuclear reactors to lower carbon dioxide emissions. That solution is worse than the problem! Terrorists
in India will get the nuclear materials to build atomic bombs or they will steal them from the Indian military and use them on us. India is a poor country and lots of guards and security people will be on the take and they might sell governement nuclear materials to terrorists. That has already happened in Russia. They might
sneak an atomic bomb onto a hijacked airliner and detonate it with a direct hit on the Pentagon or the White House.

STOP SMOKING SWITCHGRASS MR PRESIDENT!!!!!
Ghost
Global warming. Oddly we are in an ice age now. It is supposed to get warmer. Also the scientests talk about global warming, yet the trees which take in C02to produce oxygen, also give out double c02 when they die.

Climate change is happening now, it always will do. Once , for instance, england has been both a tropical jungle and a desert (which also is what made it so green and furtile) . But also you hear of extinction of animals and such. Well then its a simple case of evolution, survival of the fittest. What doesnt cope will die off, it is the same as humans. Our race wont be around forever.

Sorry if this seems like teaching your granny to suck eggs. rolleyes.gif
Anyways, why not use old fasioned methods? horse and carts (recyclible and organic alternative to the car- Feed it hay, it poops throw it on the compost heap and grow vegtables or use it to make better grass feed- only problem would be the output of methane gas) And cut down the use for carbon veichles (bio fuel) for things such as emergancy (police, medical and fire) and other such uses.

Lol i just dont think saving 10% of energy and "doing your bit" by turning off a bulb is enough. Sorry for spelling errors, just came back from the pub

PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.