To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: Has a single atom ever been photographed or seen?
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > Physics > Physics General

philip347
Has a single atom ever been photographed or seen?

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/bbs/mess...howdate=12/3/05
Why Not?
Yes. This is an image where the individual atoms in a silicon crystal are visable.
Astrophysics Kid
Well, at least, that's where they PROBABLY were when the image was taken.

Thank you, Heisenberg and associated wave-functions.
2confused guy
I'm not so sure. Unless my information is off, the closest we've gotten is a 3-D picture of carbon atoms, and each bump is the appoximate location of the atom.
Steveo
That image using a TEM was impressive. I did not know that TEM's could probe that small. Current STM's are often imaging single atoms. Remember, that when measuring a single atom's position what you are measuring is the electron cloud. All interactions are electronic interactions. Also, on the scale of atoms, and in crystal structures, the uncertainty principle does not bring our uncertainty down that much.
DaBigEd
Just remember that you will never be able to see an atom with conventional light as visible light cannot resolve objects that small. TEM's, STM's etc infer the existence of the atoms based on a property of the atom (charge density etc)

I'll never forget when I was in my first unit on Quantum and a student put their hand up and asked if a hydrogen atom was a different colour to a oxygen atom.
Shadow
That is a more profound question than you may realize.
sunblock
Some scientests that work for IBM lined up some atoms that spelled out "IBM" once. They took some pictures of them. Actually happened. Cool.

Here's the link
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.
© Science X : physics and technology news - Version for PDAs - Medical & Health news articles - mobile