STYLE OF HEALTHY LIFE “VALENS”
GRAND HOTEL PRIMUS, SLOVENIA
Psychotherapy based on humanistic psychology is finding out that self-awareness is an important element of health (Ščuka). As we are aware about outer world, about our body, mind and emotions, we can also be aware about ourselves. Self-awareness is giving us inner power, motivation and perseverance to realize our life mission. “Valens” is a life style awakening self-awareness and creating harmony between body, mind and consciousness. Symbol of Valens is “Wheel of health” with six spokes that are complementary. Center of Wheel of health is symbolizing self-awareness and assures that wheel turns good also by big burdening. Stile Valens makes possible that we successfully carry trough difficult situations in our private and business life.
Let see in detail seven elements of Valens:
- Full breathing:
Stress causes the inhalation to become shallow, and exhalation incomplete. Emotionally painful experiences make breathing shallow as well. Full breathing consists of three phases: full exhalation, abdominal inhalation, chest Inhalation. Full breathing brings a lot of oxygen into the organism, strengthens the muscles of the abdomen, provides exercise for the thorax and spine, and helps maintain the proper poise.
Nowadays, only very few people breathe fully. Mostly people breathe only with their chest; the exchange of air takes place only in the middle part of the lungs, while the diaphragm remains passive. Others breathe only with the lower part of the lungs, i.e. with the diaphragm, while the chest is blocked, and there is little exchange of air in the middle and upper parts of the lungs. Diaphragmatic breathing improves with thoracic breathing and vice versa, thoracic breathing improves when we start breathing with the diaphragm as well.
Full breathing is the basis for the relaxation technique called "conscious breathing", during which our attention is focused on breathing. An exercise in full and conscious breathing takes 30 minutes. Lie down on a comfortable surface, plug out the phone and switch off the cell phone. After 15 minutes of full breathing let the body breathe by itself, do not interfere with the depth and rhythm of breathing, become a pure watcher: the air is entering the body, holds still for a moment, and then returns into space. In Buddhism "conscious breathing" is called “vipassana”. Attention to breathing activates the consciousness, brings the mind to the present moment, and harmonizes it with the body. The result is a deep psychophysical relaxation, which calms down the mind, restores its strength, and enriches it with originality, creativeness, the feelings of ethics and aesthetics.
- Healthy diet:
The Essence recommends the Montignac diet, which is based on medicinal research that showed that the basis of a healthy diet is carbohydrates with a low glycemic index, aminoacid-rich protein and food which contains unsaturated fats. The dishes are made from ecological foodstuffs. Researches done within the framework of the European Union confirm that ecological foodstuffs are an important health factor.
It is also important to distinguish between a physical and a mental need for food. When we are ill at ease, are emotionally excited or have problems at our workplace, we often exaggerate in food. The best way of reaching a perfect body weight is to discover the reason why do we crave for food and eliminate the cause. A conscious lifestyle ensures an ideal body weight.
- Daily exercise:
The universe and nature are in constant movement. Well-being is not something static; it is an on-going process of interaction between the body, mind, and consciousness. To function properly, our bodies need daily exercise, and everybody is free to make a choice of their choosing: jogging, walking, yoga, tai-chi, gymnastics, swimming etc.
- Daily relaxation:
Relaxation supplements movement. Today we have forgotten how to relax and rest. We live for the most part of time in our minds, our heads are full of thoughts about the future or the past at all times, while the body is neglected. One of the consequences of the split of the mind and body is stress. In our wellness program you will learn to relax through "conscious breathing", in which consciousness is focused onto breathing. Breathing is always taking place in the present moment, and being attentive to breathing brings the mind to the present and connects it with the body. The result is a deep psychophysical relaxation. Another important relaxation technique is "conscious thinking", in which we bring our consciousness to the observation of thought processes and emotions. "Conscious thinking" helps us to create negative mechanisms of the mind, such as self-condemnation and faulting others. Relaxation techniques activate self-awareness that also increases awareness about how our thoughts and emotions are creating our life.
- Good interpersonal relations:
Valens develops creativity and friendship with awakening of self-awareness. Self-awareness is raising awareness of our emotions and also of emotions of other people. This gives us capacity to guide emotions into positive way. Research shows (Goleman), that self-awareness is fundamental for happy and successful life.
Important element of interpersonal relations is clear communication. Between people that talk one, thing other and feel third is communication almost impossible. Valens is developing Conscious Communication which means that we talk what we thing and our words are supported with our present emotions. Conscious communication enables integration of an individual into family and working environment. It is strengthening creativity, flexibility, success of different groups including business, politics, sport….
- Healthy nature: Healthy nature reflects health of the human being; damaged nature reflects his/her illness. Valens is deepening human relation with nature. It is awakening awareness that what we do to the nature we do to ourselves. We are integral part of nature and universe. Healthy nature is the basis of our existence and further development on this planet. Valens is supporting development of biological agriculture and industry which makes profit without damaging nature.
- Self-awareness: Evolution of human being leads to the self-awareness. We are on the passage from “I think and fell, so I’m” into “I’m aware of my thoughts and emotions, so I’m”. Situation on the planet shows that reason has no power to resolve health and social problems of today society; in last few years more people is ill, poverty is increasing, religious, racial and tensions between nations are increasing. Self-awareness is a basis of conscious individual that will take responsibility for his/her health as well as for the health of the nature.
- Ščuka V.(2007). Šolar na poti do sebe, Didakta, Radovljica
- Ščuka V.(2008). Izgorelost managerjev (strokovno gradivo)
- Goleman D.(2001). Čustvena inteligenca na delovnem mestu, Založba Mladinska knjiga, Ljubljana
- Herberst Benson (1993). Wellness Book: The Comprehensive Guide to Maintaining Health and Treating Stress-Related Illnes. Schribner
- John Randoplph Price (1998). The Wellness Book. Hay House
- Sorli S., Fiscaletti D. (2007). Conscious communication into politics, Scientific Inquiry,
Vol 8. Num 1. pp 61-64 http://www.iigss.net/Scientific-Inquiry/Ju...-Fiscaletti.pdf
- Šorli S. (2007). Aktivni elementi wellnessa za zdravo življenje, Wellness, št 1, november 2007
- Šorli S.(2008). Vloga in pomen čustev v wellnessu, Wellness št. 2. Pomlad 2008
- Šorli S. (208). Meditacija proti sindromu izgorelosti, Wellness št.3. Poletje 2008
- Sorli S., Sorli I. K. (2004). The Scientific Basis For The Development Of Human Consciousness. Episteme, Perugia, Italy, Number 8, http://www.cartesio-episteme.net/ep8/ep8-sorli2.htm
- Sorli S., Klinar D. Kern N. (2007) Integral Ecology – The Way into Sustainable, Healthy and Peaceful Civilization http://www.wbabin.net/philos/amrit.pdf