To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: Genetic Engineering: Designer Babies
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > General Sci-Tech Discussions > Puzzling questions

Nurkinn
Hello every one, i come to you all seeking some help. I am currently writing a research paper regarding Genetic Engineering, and more specifically, Designer Babies.

I seek opinions from any one and every one who has a sound, logical opinion and cares to help a college student out wink.gif

The question: Is it morally and/or ethically okay for genetic engineering and/or designer babies to come about?

This is a broad subject question in my humble opinion, but that is the best i have so far... If any one can help me out, i would greatly appreciate it, Thank you.

---Nurk
Nurkinn
Hello every one, i come to you all seeking some help. I am currently writing a research paper regarding Genetic Engineering, and more specifically, Designer Babies.

I seek opinions from any one and every one who has a sound, logical opinion and cares to help a college student out

The question: Is it morally and/or ethically okay for genetic engineering and/or designer babies to come about?

This is a broad subject question in my humble opinion, but that is the best i have so far... If any one can help me out, i would greatly appreciate it, Thank you.

---Nurk
Pan
Yes. I don't believe there is any rational reason against it. No, religion is not rational.

That's a short answer for now. I don't feel like typing anymore tonight, but it basically goes along the lines of "Is it immoral to cure disease? Is it immoral to be healthy? IS it immoral to be attractive? We all say we want what's best for our children, we work to minimize the chance of harm and maximize the chance of success, then we arbitrarily nix that moral when it comes to the genetic code, believing that leaving our child's genetic make up to the hands of fate and then trying to correct things after the fact is more moral. It's not. It's stupid."

Okay that was slightly less short than i had intended.
Nurkinn
Well, that slightly longer post then you intended just put a big smile on my face smile.gif I've been hopping back and forth through the two main divides...

The Science Community and the Catholic community.

(Granted it is easily possible and plausible to be both... this is just an easily acceptable divide)

Any ways, thank you very much... i appreciate your answer. I'm just glad i have another persons opinion... ya know, it can be quite hard leaving bias out on research papers at times.

---Nurk
Lsos
QUOTE (Nurkinn+Oct 16 2006, 06:00 AM)

Technology has practically eliminated natural selection in humans. As a result, half of us are fat, bald, ugly, blind, deaf, and generally messed up in some way. Including me. Unless we have a replacement for natural selection, the only viable one that I see being genetic engineering, we'll all be freaks in the not-too-distant-future.

As such, it's almost immoral to not practice genetic engineering. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live my life as a freak of nature simply because my parents thought it was "immoral" to fix me.
El_Machinae
Another question to ask is whether it's moral to try a (relatively) untested technique on an embryo, in order to improve it.

Genetic manipulation is intended to improve the child, relative to baseline. But transgenic manipulation does not have the best track record. Is it moral to experiment on a child, if the 'upgrade' is not necessary?

Topically, this can be linked to the (minor) risk of circumcision and its use as a way of 'upgrading' the boy to be more resistant to AIDS infection.
Confused2
My 'worries' are more technical than moral..

Different species of bird all have a different song built into them and when to migrate and so on .. I think it would be very hard to detect either of those things in a DNA sequence.

We may not be birds but we're pretty sophisticated beasts and it would be very easy to chop or add a bit that just leaves us ever so slightly 'not quite right' blink.gif.

-C2.
El_Machinae
But there are some really obvious places to modify. Many genetic defects can be traced to one gene.

A big part of the argument lies in deciding if 'repair' is okay, and if 'improvement' is okay. Is it okay to turn off a Huntington's mutation? Maybe. Is it okay to turn off the lactase inhibitor gene? Maybe.

Bringing UP to human standard seems to be more morally acceptable than lifting ABOVE human standard. That will likely 'feel' true, until the 'boosted' human is more common than the not boosted one.
kjw
Is it morally and/or ethically okay for genetic engineering and/or designer babies to come about?

I believe such a question can not be asked in its current form. It is to simplified for such a complex topic.

Is it okay to kill people ? Is another question that is to simplified. Is it okay to kill innocence v's is it okay to kill some one who is attempting to kill you has different aspects to address.

Is it ok to genetic engineer drought resistant crops under strict regulations is a completely different question to how much would it cost to design a baby that has blond hair, blue eyes, a high metabolism and likely to grow taller than 6foot 6inch.

Personally I think it is foolish and naive to think that we have a sufficient understanding of what life is, how it got here, how it works, where should it go, that would justify anyone saying that "I know how to make things better". When the human race gets to a level that we understand the complexity of life, we would then be in a position to answer your question (with emphasis on answer not execute the meaning of your question).

Good luck with your research paper.

QUOTE (Lsos+Oct 16 2006, 01:36 PM)
Technology has practically eliminated natural selection in humans.  As a result, half of us are fat, bald, ugly, blind, deaf, and generally messed up in some way.  Including me.  Unless we have a replacement for natural selection, the only viable one that I see being genetic engineering, we'll all be freaks in the not-too-distant-future.

If as you say we're heading down the road to being freaks
would it not serve as a driving force for evolution?

I think at present we understand too little about the evolutionary process to go screwing around with our genetic makeup.
PhilP
From a Christian point of view there's nothing wrong with medical procedures which cure or prevent some abnormal condition, but why tamper with a miraculous and little understood process which works perfectly already? If people opt for plastic surgery, it is their choice. But an unborn child has no such choice. Also it is making a choice of who lives and who dies, which is not anyone's choice to make. If that were done in our case, we wouldn't be here to talk about it. It can't prevent the effects of old age, nor eventual death, but God can and will restore health and youthfulness to all in an eternal paradise.

Those who choose to ignore God's laws and standards feel free to do anything they wish, but all will be accountable sooner or later.
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.