To add comments or start new threads please go to the full version of: Can You Turn Your Computer Screen Into A Mirror?
PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums > Technology > Technology

iseason
Hi all
I googled "can you turn your screen into a mirror" and noticed that the question had been asked.

Wonder if anyone knows the answer.

If not...Why not

Cheers
Iseason
Foghorn Leghorn
QUOTE (iseason+Apr 5 2010, 07:26 AM)
Hi all
I googled "can you turn your screen into a mirror" and noticed that the question had been asked.

Wonder if anyone knows the answer.

If not...Why not

Cheers
Iseason

?? blink.gif ... just mount a PC camera opposite your head .... and like, switch on.
iseason
QUOTE (Foghorn Leghorn+Apr 5 2010, 10:09 PM)
?? blink.gif ... just mount a PC camera opposite your head .... and like, switch on.

No. It's not a vanity question
MadysonBelindaRobertson
Nice try but I've got you. A fellow stumble user I presume? This question was asked two years ago verbatim, except for the slight rewording of the second sentence. I guess we are both losers for actually looking it upon Yahoo Answers, although you certainly one-upped me by actually re-asking the question.
Factfinder
so long the technique is concerned iseason is completely correct provided you don't focus on the completer defination of mirror in which it must reflect light.
otherwise, if you can manage to put light with low power input from crt tube etc which is just enough to touch the screen and make it opaque, the translucent object with painted back should act as a mirror.
i am not sure just hypothetical guess.
light in the tunnel
I think the dimmer your screen, the more likely it is that reflected light won't be drowned out by radiant light. So the monitor is most like a mirror when it's off, which you knew. But imo black coated with something reflective and transparent makes a weak mirror.

I don't know what kind of metal is used for the reflective surface of a good mirror, but maybe it or some other metal could be made particulate so it could be included in the display of those ebooks that use real ink to create a more paper-like appearance.
H2O
Well, you could always get a monitor, stick glue and some aluminum foil.....

You know where I'm going with this.... laugh.gif
BreanaAbagailButler
ive seen some ceepy things done with webcams that control the background..

no idea how it was done tho...
AllyAshantiBrown
Not possible unless you completly destroy it
BreanaAbagailButler
QUOTE (BreanaAbagailButler+Apr 9 2010, 08:59 AM)
ive seen some ceepy things done with webcams that control the background..

no idea how it was done tho...

Commercial Freezer
My Webpage
PhysOrg scientific forums are totally dedicated to science, physics, and technology. Besides topical forums such as nanotechnology, quantum physics, silicon and III-V technology, applied physics, materials, space and others, you can also join our news and publications discussions. We also provide an off-topic forum category. If you need specific help on a scientific problem or have a question related to physics or technology, visit the PhysOrg Forums. Here you’ll find experts from various fields online every day.
To quit out of "lo-fi" mode and return to the regular forums, please click here.